Job Title: Regional Coordinator
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Salary: USD 20,160 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The Regional Coordinator will take overall responsibility for the management of the Kampala office and staff and for the coordination of project activities in the region. The person in this role is responsible for the implementation of the project activities in the districts of operation in the region, ensuring technical quality of all activities through regular liaison with and supervision from the projects’ Kampala-based Project Specialists.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide strategic leadership and guidance to the Kampala field project team
· Work in liaison with a range of local stakeholders including DHTs, NGOs and private sector bodies in the districts of implementation to ensure effective coordination and delivery of activities
· Steer the design and planning of both preventive and curative interventions for the region
· Work closely with the project Specialists in the development of the annual project work plans
· The incumbent will be in charge of coordinating and implementing key malaria control interventions including LLIN distribution, intermittent preventive treatment uptake among pregnant women, diagnosis and treatment of malaria as well as training & mentorship of health workers on management of un complicated and severe malaria
· Ensure documentation and sharing of lessons learned and success stories
· Undertake any other relevant duties assigned.
· Prepare and submit relevant programmatic reports for the region to the Deputy Chief of Party
· Ensure relevant financial reports for the region are submitted to Senior Financial Accountant
· Maintain regular communication with the MAPD Kampala office and compile work plan updates from the region
· Work with the project team at the region and Kampala office to disseminate all relevant project documentation to the district health teams and other stakeholders in region
· Responsible for effective and coordinated management of the Kampala region of operation and financial, logistic, administrative and technical activities
· Supervise the Kampala field office team
· Remain up-to-date on the security situation in the Kampala Region and ensure all staff working out of the Office (including organizational and external visitors) adhere to the Malaria Consortium security regulations and follow SOPs.
· Provide updates on field office activities on weekly basis by sending weekly activity reports to the Deputy Chief of Party.
· Actively participate in relevant internal coordination and technical meetings.
· Ensure the region’s activity and financial reports are submitted timely
Monitoring and Evaluation (10%)
· Support the Kampala officer team including the M&E to collect and analyse complete programmatic data in a timely fashion
· Actively participate and support periodic evaluations, and reviews of MAPD activities
· Work closely with the MAPD M&E Officer and M&E Specialist in the monitoring and evaluation of project activities
· Support the conduct of surveys as required
· Represent the project at regional and district levels on programmatic issues in coordination with the Deputy Chief of Party.
· Attend relevant district, regional and Kampala-based meetings as deemed relevant or as requested.
· Take charge of planning to ensure the smooth conduct of all visits from internal and external visitors to the Kampala Office’s area of operation
· Adhere to all project policies and procedures.
· Adhere to internationally recognised humanitarian and development principles at all times during the implementation of the project.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD Regional Coordinator job opportunity should hold a Post graduate degree in a health related field including public health, Community Health or an equivalent
· At least five years’ experience in project management, including financial management, human resource management, and report writing
· Familiarity with districts and Ministry of Health implementation structures
· Previous exposure and experience working on a USAID funded project
· Proven significant experience working for Non-Government Organisations is desirable
· Previous exposure and experience working in networks and building strong working relationships is desired
· Experience coordinating public health programmes with NGOs or donor institutions
· Prior experience in effectively managing diverse teams
· Excellent diplomacy and stakeholder liaison skills, and experience in working in partnerships to deliver programmes
· Strong networking skills and the ability to develop strong relationships
· Excellent communications and presentation skills and proficient in word-processing and data management software
· Excellent organization skills
· Experience in capacity building/ transferring of skills
· Delivering Results: Takes on pieces of work when required and demonstrates excellent project management skills
· Shows a flexible approach to taking on additional work / responsibilities when needed to achieve results
· Demonstrates excellent project management skills to agreed timescales (timelines, targets, donor requirements)
· Makes clear and timely decisions within remit of own role
Analysis and use of information: Uses evidence to support work
· Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
· Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
· Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
· Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
Interpersonal and Communications: Fosters two-way communication
· Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
· Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
· Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
· Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and Partnering: Collaborates effectively across teams
· Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
· Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
· Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people
Leading and motivating people: Manages own development and seeks opportunities
· Actively manages own development and performance positively
· Learns lessons from successes and failures
· Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise
Flexibility/ Adaptability: Remains professional under external
· Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
· Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
· Plans, prioritizes and performs tasks well under pressure
· Learns from own successes / mistakes
Living the Values: Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers
· Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
· Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Is aware of others’ activities and vice versa in planning activities
· Takes account of team members and others workload when planning.
· Maintains awareness of impact on other parts of the organisation, keeping abreast of other’s activities, objectives, commitments and needs
· Has a good understanding of the sector in which Malaria Consortium works
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline