Job Title: Organizational Development Specialist - VTIs
Duty Station: Kasese, Uganda
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Job Summary: The Organizational Development Specialist will assess the needs and build the operational, management and governance capacity of staff, management and board members of the vocational training institute so they have the leadership, policies and practices to support the delivery of quality, market relevant, internationally recognised (e.g. City and Guilds) and industry demanded standards of skills training and services; so the local population have increased preparedness for employment in the oil and gas and related sectors; as part of a 3 year GIZ funded livelihoods project - Skills and Capacity for Organisational (VTI) Productivity and Employment (SCOPE)
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Carry out an assessment of the organisational, management and governance capacity of partner VTI and jointly with VTI develop a capacity enhancement plan
· Take lead in the implementation and monitoring of the capacity enhancement plan (directly through on-the-job training, coaching and mentoring as well as identifying appropriate resource person(s) within project team or external resource persons as needed and budget permitting)
· Particular focus on providing training and coaching towards having management and governance policies, practices and facilities that meet City and Guilds requirements
· With VSO staff, support partner VTI to complete City and Guilds (C&G) Centre Approval and Qualification Approval forms and the audit process for selected training course(s)
· Work in close coordination with other VSO volunteers: Vocational Training Advisor, Work Readiness Specialist and VSO staff, build the capacity of the 2 partner VTIs in Kasese in particular areas of expertise particularly towards gaining C&G accreditation
· Support the VTI(s) to design and implement a strategic sustainability plan
· Support the VTI(s) to design and implement a business plan that includes income generating activities towards maintaining and expanding facilities including City and Guilds accreditation
· Work in close coordination with VSO volunteer Gender Advisor, support partner VTI to develop policies and practices to promote inclusion by using and adapting VSO Gender and Disability Tool kits for VTIs.
· In coordination with VSO volunteer Private Sector Specialist support partner VTI to strengthen the linkages with private sector especially in the Oil and Gas related sectors
· With project team support the targeted VTIs to form a network; for sharing best practices; enhancing visibility and reputation
· Prepare and submit monthly plans and reports to Line Manager in VTI partner as well as VSO Line Manager.
· Document and share successes and case stories, best practices and lessons learnt
· Draft and input into quarterly and annual donor reports as needed
· Participate in SCOPE project planning and review meetings as asked
· Jointly with other VSO volunteers identifying and sharing areas of good practice across the VTI partners
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a degree relevant field
· At least five years of relevant experience
· Previous exposure and experience in supporting organisations to develop and implement to strategic and business plans;
· Experience of developing and putting into practice HR, procurement and finance policies and procedures
· Prior experience of Change Management
· Familiarity with governance practise
· Proven coaching and mentoring skills
· Experience of working with/training low capacity teams
· Effective communications skills (including IT skills and report writing)
· Previous experience within vocational training organisations especially those offering C&G and/or NVQ is desirable
· Prior exposure and experience of conducting and rolling out organisational capacity assessments
· Experience of delivering Training of Trainers
· Experience of working with/training low capacity teams/grass root organisations
· Prior experience of working in developing countries (in Africa, in an NGO
· Excellent interpersonal skills and suitable character to work in a slow-paced environment which can be bureaucratic (requiring patience and tenacity).
· High degree of professionalism
· Conceptual and analytic thinking
· Initiative, self-motivated
· Ability to adjust and adapt easily to a new environment, culture and situation; address multiple challenges in the workplace and be able to work without much supervision.
· Good team player able to work alongside their local colleagues in a spirit of partnership.
· Proactive, supportive and accommodative
· Motorbike experience or willingness to learn
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the web link below.
Deadline: 1st October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline