Job Title: M&E and Knowledge Management Specialist
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior M&E Advisor
Salary: USD 20,160 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The M& E and Knowledge Management Specialist will provide technical support to monitoring, evaluation and knowledge sharing activities in the MAPD project.
The incumbent is responsible for the oversight and technical input of M&E advice and concepts to all project activities. S/he works directly with the technical officers and M&E officers to ensure all their activities, and reports have a monitoring & Evaluation aspect embedded. This role is responsible for reviewing all reports from M& E officers before they are linked within the overall MAPD project reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support the project in the development and implementation of M&E systems and plans as listed below. Also, assist in the supervision and coordination of their implementation (15%).
o Log frames with appropriate project indicators, targets and data collection methods
o Routine monitoring systems, including databases, systems for data collection, maintenance and storage
o Templates and schedules for routine reports including quantitative and narrative reports (where necessary)
· Offer technical support for routine data collection and management including IT applications for data transfer (5%).
· Take part in the design, implementation and analysis of surveys. Where necessary, oversee the implementation of the same (5%).
· Where necessary, design systems for the storage of both qualitative, quantitative and knowledge generated from the project implementation.
· Support MAPD districts to ensure effective use of data for decision-making (5%).
· Carry out field visits to validate data and monitor the quality and completeness of collected data (10%).
· Provide technical oversight, on-going support and supervision to M&E Officers (10%).
· Actively participate in capacity development (including trainings) for MAPD districts staff with respect to M&E (10%).
· Assist in analysis and presentations of routine and evaluations project data (5%).
· Prepare and submit MAPD quarterly report to stakeholders (5%).
· Build and maintain relationships with relevant Ministry of Health officials, so as to stay abreast of and involved in related HMIS and M&E developments (5%).
· Represent MAPD at district, national, and regional meetings as relevant (5%).
· Assist in preparing donor reports (10%).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD M&E and Knowledge Management Specialist career opportunity should hold a Postgraduate degree in public health (with focus on epidemiology/bio-statistics) or related social science discipline such as demography
· A minimum of eight years’ experience working in public health in developing countries within government, an international organization or research institution
· Previous exposure and experience in the management of project M&E systems
· Significant experience in survey design and implementation
· Computer literacy i.e. proficient in the development of data entry programmes and in using statistical analysis software (EpiInfo, EpiData, Excel, Access, Stata)
· Experienced in applying qualitative methods of data collection and analysis
· Familiar with Uganda’s routine HMIS
· Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Proven significant experience working for an International Non-Government Organisation
· Some experience with programming desirable (e.g. Pendragon)
· Excellent communications and presentation skills and proficient in word-processing and data management and analytical software
· Excellent organization skills
· Previous experience in capacity building/ transferring of skills
Delivering Results: Supports others to achieve results
· Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets.
· Supports others to plan and deliver results
· Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks
Analysis and use of information: Works confidently with complex data to support work
· Interprets complex written information
· Works confidently with data before making decisions: for example; interpreting trends, issues and risks
· Acquainted with the validity, relevance and limitations of different sources of evidence
Interpersonal and communications: Communicates complex technical and/or sensitive/high risk information effectively
· Communicates complex operational, technical and strategic issues clearly and credibly with widely varied audiences
· Uses varied communication to promote dialogue and shared understanding and consensus across a variety of audiences
· Influences internal and external audiences on specific issues
· Scans the internal and external environment for key information and messages to support communications strategies
Collaboration and partnering: Builds strong networks internally and participates actively in external networks and think tanks
· Builds strong networks internally
· Participates actively in external networks and/or think tanks.
· Engages with relevant experts to gather and evaluate evidence
· Shares and implements good practice with internal and external peers
Leading and motivating people: Effectively leads and motivates others or direct reports.
· Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback
· Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
· Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
· Develop the skills and competence of others through the development and application of skills
· Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties
Flexibility/ adaptability: Clarifies priorities and ensures learning from experience
· Clarifies priorities when leading change
· Sees and shows others the benefits of strategic change.
· Helps colleagues/ team members to practice stress management through prioritisation of workloads and modelling of appropriate self-management and care
· Makes time to learn from experience and feedback, and apply the lessons to a new situation
Living the values: Supports others to live Malaria Consortium’s values
· Demonstrates personal integrity by using role position responsibly and fairly
· Cultivates an open culture within the wider team, promoting accountability, responsibility and respect for individual differences
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Keeps up to date with the internal and external environment
· Takes into account economic, political and other business factors when drawing up medium and long-term plans, covering both public and private sectors
· Looks beyond the immediate operations to prospects for new business
· Engages with appropriate internal and external sources to establish major influences on future plans
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline