Job Title: IT Officer
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Field Manager
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
IRC is working in collaboration with OPM, UNHCR and other agencies to provide multi-sector assistance program in Bidibidi Refugee Settlement in Yumbe District, which is now home to approximately 20,000 South Sudanese refugees.
Job Summary: The IT Officer is responsible for the running of the IRC Yumbe IT Section in addition to managing the security of data; technical operation, efficiency and cost aspects of the IT system for purposes of improving the IRC Uganda support functions. In order to achieve better results in terms of support and system utilization, it will be his/her core responsibility to train staff and reinforce good policies and best practices of IT facilities. The IT Officer is specifically responsible for the following tasks:-
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will ensure the Yumbe office is operating off the IRC IT global standards.
- Ensure that all IRC computers are in working order. All Servers, Firewalls, Unifi Devices, Switches are in working order. Assist in the maintenance of computers as requested.
- Install local area network cabling systems and equipment such as network interface cards and switches to ensure connectivity.
- Mentor and train IRC staff and guests on the safe handling and general operation of computers and accessories and ensure that all IRC staff are in compliance with IT policies and procedures.
- Ensure that server backup is done on regular basis and that staff are reminded to do back up before their computers are sent out for repairs.
- Inform or/and request support from the IT Officer in Kampala or New York IT help desk on any problem occurred in the system.
- Offer technical assistance on computer software and hardware. Provide training, develop training material and assistance in MS Office – Word, Excel, Access, Office365 and Exchange, Power Point and use of other IRC Web Platforms such as Service Now, Self-service, Box etc.
- Provide assistance to Finance on SUN, Q&A systems installations, DB Backups/Uploads.
- Ensure proper record keeping of breakdowns, problems and maintenance carried out.
- Ensure data security, backups of LAN, protection against data corruption and loss in all locations. Ensure that backups are done at a minimum on a weekly basis and stored appropriately.
- Ensure that antivirus programs on each machine are updated regularly.
- Prepare and submit reports with information on condition of network and ISPs to assist with timely upgrades and necessary changes.
- Carry out service and maintenance of computers, printers, UPS and other associated equipment. Conduct diagnosis of problems, follow up with the Supply chain in charge of maintenance, and inspect that repairs have correctly been done before putting equipment back into production.
- Configure new computers after they have been properly registered in the assets register.
- Develop and maintain an IT Asset register for all the office sites. Reports to be shared with IT Officer every month.
- Create email addresses, update mailing lists, and keep proper tracking of email addresses.
- Actively participate in system/project testing, rollout and report logging. All these to be shared with IT Officer.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) IT Officer job vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- At least three (3) years’ work experience in computing and maintenance of LANs, PC desktop and application software, installing, upgrading, troubleshooting and administering Windows Server 2008 R2 Servers.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases.
- Broad working knowledge of Desktop operating systems, various software applications and basic hardware for the PC principles and theories of network systems and management; Internet technologies and products; basic understanding of electrical safety procedure.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure with limited supervision and take initiative.
- Possess excellent training skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with a service oriented outlook
- Good team player.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 22nd September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline