Job Title: Pest Control Technician
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary Grade: FSN-5 (Ugshs 34,509,568 p.a. inclusive of allowances)
Vacancy Announcement Number: 92-16
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Deborah R. Malac currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
· United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
· Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
· Peace Corps
Job Summary: The Pest Control Technician will be tasked with the responsibility of application of Safety, Health, and Environment Management (SHEM) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved pesticides in over 120 locations—government owned and leased residences and facilities in the Mission.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Carries out hands-on application of SHEM and/or EPA approved pesticides in over 120 government owned/leased residences/facilities in U.S Mission Kampala, Uganda (70%)
- Adheres to the Integrated Pest Management Policy ensuring the three components— prevention and pest prevalence reduction measures, self-help measures, and application of Department-authorized professional-use pesticides are observed at all times.
- The jobholder ensures high level of professionalism and safety before, during, and after pesticides application.
- Acts as a team leader in all pest prevention and control projects with a team of technicians which may include: welders, carpenters, masons, and maintenance helpers.
- Works in liaison with the Work Flow Clerk to set pest application appointments with customers.
- The incumbent receives work requests through the Global Maintenance Management System and determines course of action.
- Visits worksites, assesses severity of pest infestation, and determines appropriate mitigation measures.
- Repairs and maintains pesticide application equipment such as pressure pump, hand pump, and dust blower.
Regularly supervises pesticide application on ornamental seasonal and annual plants, shrubs and trees by the gardening contractor at Chancery, warehouse, Chief of Mission’s Residence (CMR), and Deputy Chief of Mission Residence (DCMR) locations to ensure compliance (20%)
- Additionally, works with the contractor at any contracted pest application jobs in over 120 U.S Mission locations— residences and facilities.
- Regularly supervises gardening work during house make ready and coordinates any gardening requirements for vacant residences throughout the year.
- Documents reports that include: type, frequency, and severity of pest infestation per residence which in turn helps in residential lease renewal discussions.
Other duties (10%)
- Supports other Facilities Maintenance staff in completing any assigned tasks when manpower is required.
- The jobholder also offers support in the transportation of Facilities staff from warehouse to worksite and between worksites.
- Helps with collection and delivery of parts and supplies to personnel at worksite.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United US Embassy Pest Control Technician career opportunity should possess at least two years post-secondary education in any of the vocational education
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the maintenance or construction field performing repair work or in the field of occupational safety; plumbing, janitorial, carpentry, electrical.
- Prior knowledge of pesticide application and measures of pest control and prevention is required
- Able to use pesticide application tools and equipment safely.
- Ability to independently interact with American staff.
- Ability to read and understand Safety Data Sheets, label, and have a valid driver’s license.
- Language Proficiency: Level III: Good working knowledge of spoken and written English, able to read and understand Safety Data Sheet and labels.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications and strictly adhere to the following:
· Download a completed and signed Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff, Download it Here.
· Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Submit Application To:
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov
NB: Your application will be reviewed if you have fulfilled all the requirements including submission of standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) in a single attachment (No Zipped files, Links or Multiple Attachments) and should not exceed 10MB. Please clearly indicate the position number and title you are applying for on the DS-174 form.
Deadline: 7th October 2016
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline