Duty Station: Kyambogo, Kampala, Uganda
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Job Summary: The Education Specialist will provide timely technical support to Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports, Makerere and Kyambogo Universities to streamline national delivery of Early Childhood Development teacher training system.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Support to universities &MoESTS:
· Take lead in capacity building for the various stakeholders at different levels, particularly two national universities, MoESTS and the National council for Higher Education in Uganda. Key result areas will include;
· Review the national ECD policy framework with particular focus on the ECD caregivers/teachers training curriculum in order to develop a tutor’s manual/guide for the implementation of the existing teacher training framework. This will involve developing appropriate pedagogy, methodology and resources for ECD teacher training.
· Develop a post-graduate teacher training curriculum, an assessment criteria and a support supervision mechanism for ECD teachers.
· Coordinate the engagement and participation of the universities, MoESTS, National Council for Higher Education national and districts in ECD advocacy, lobbying, events and project activities.
VSO level engagement:
· Actively participate in VSO coordinated activities with other partners/stakeholders
· Prepare quarterly work plans, requisitions and reports as per placement objectives
· The incumbent will attend and participate in quarterly planning and coordination review meetings
· Prepare for quarterly placement reviews with the programme manager/officer at the placement location or at VSO quarterly meetings
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Master’s degree in Early Childhood development (ECD)
· A PHD in ECD will be of added advantage
· At least five years’ experience in ECD
· Previous exposure and experience in Pedagogy, curriculum design & implementation
· Experience in Early years’ education management, assessment and/or Inspection
· Experience in training professionals
· Good facilitation skills (e.g. workshops)
· Computer literacy skills
· Excellent planning, coordination, organizational and management competencies.
· Well developed drive for results competencies.
· Ability to work with minimum supervision and high levels of government bureaucracy at management level.
· Language: Excellent English language skills essential, especially writing skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the web link below.
Deadline: 16th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline