Organization: Ministry of Works and Transport
Project Name: Standard Gauge Railway Project
Duty Station: Jinja, Namanve, Tororo and Iganga, Uganda
Reports to: Resident Engineer
The Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Works and Transport is spearheading the development of the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) network. The SGR project is being implemented over five (5) years as a regional project with Uganda’s partner states of Kenya, Rwanda and South Sudan. The objective of developing the SGR network is to provide a modern, fast, reliable, efficient, and high capacity railway transport system as a seamless single railway operation.
Job Summary: The Chinese Interpreter/Translator will provide professional interpretation/translation services from Chinese to English and vice versa.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check original texts or confer with authors to ensure that translations retain the content, meaning and feeling of the original material
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms such as those for engineering and any other related technical areas.
- The incumbent will listen to speakers’ statements in order to determine meaning and to prepare translations, using electronic listening systems as necessary.
- The incumbent will translate messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages, orally or by using hand signs, maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible.
- Compile information about the content and context of information to be translated, as well as details of the groups for whom translation or interpretation is being performed.
- The incumbent will proofread, edit, and revise translated materials.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Chinese Interpreters/Translators should hold a Bachelor’s (Hons) Degree from a recognised institution PREFERABLY from the People’s Republic of China.
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken Chinese (Mandarin).
- Personal Competencies: Team work; effective Communication; Interpersonal Skills; Ethics and Integrity; Result orientation; Computer Literacy
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandans should send written applications with letters of recommendation from either the current or previous employer(s) covering the last three consecutive years of employment, copies of academic certificates & transcripts, previous and current appointment letters, curriculum vitae, and a recent passport size colour photograph.
Applications should be addressed to:-
The Project Coordinator, Standard Gauge Railway Project,
P. O. Box 27756, Kampala. Uganda
Applications should be delivered to the …New Vision Offices…
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and Canvassing or lobbying by applicants will lead to disqualification.
- Candidates who present forged documents/testimonials will be arrested and prosecuted.
- Envelopes containing applications should be clearly marked with both the position applied for and duty station.
Deadline: 28th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline