Organisation: International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
Project Name: Resilient Efficient Agribusiness Chains (REACH) project
Funding Source: Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization (PIO) governed by an international board of directors with representation from developed and developing nations. The non-profit center focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
About REACH Project:
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) has submitted a proposal for the REACH (Resilient Efficient Agribusiness Chains) project to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kampala, Uganda. The project will improve market engagement for 40,000 market oriented farmers, strengthen household resilience and increase availability of agricultural support services for farmers and businesses in the rice and potato value chains in consideration of their strategic importance to the Government of Uganda and EKN.
Job Summary: The Regional Farming as a Business Specialist(S), will be field based and will be responsible for the delivery of Farming as a Business activities in the REACH-UGANDA project. The incumbent will be supervised by the National FaaB (and agronomy) Coordinator in field stations based (either Kabale or Mbale). Their primary function is to supervise the dissemination of training material on Farming as a Business and appropriate climate smart production techniques for the project’s target crops (potato and lowland rice). The focus is on FaaB to achieve marketable surpluses and reduced production costs. Commercial production will involve the use of fertilizers, organic matter management, improved germplasm, and climate smart farming practices. Proven FaaB training and adoption promotion skills are necessary, for the successful candidate(s) in this role. The Regional FaaB Specialists will also be responsible for the execution of field demonstrations and data collection, and will work with the National FaaB and M&E Coordinators to assure accurate monitoring of project outputs. S/he will work with the project’s National Agribusiness Coordinator and the Gender and Youth Advisor to ensure that proper coordination and integration of the projects overarching objectives are achieved.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in the development of simple, direct FaaB training materials, suited to both farmers and extension staff.
- Meet training, demonstration and farmer adoption objectives.
- Prepare and submit activity reports on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure that IFDC’s projects result in economically, environmentally and socially sustainable impacts.
- Provide input for the project management team in budget development, and in monitoring project budget throughout the year.
- Establish and maintain contacts with private sector, government agencies, farmer groups and associations, and NGOs involved in commercial agriculture initiatives.
- Work closely with agro-inputs sector to ensure supply of quality inputs to project areas.
- Work through the National FaaB and Coordinator Communications Advisor to communicate project successes.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) Regional Farming as a Business Specialist job opportunity must hold a Bachelor’s Degree with proven experience in Farming-as-a-Business and post-harvest handling knowledge/experience a must. Additionally, agronomy, soil science, communication and innovation studies related to agriculture or any related field
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in Uganda highly desirable.
- Ability to work collaboratively in multi-cultural environments and in an interdisciplinary team
- Previous experience working with commercial agricultural enterprises which have out grower schemes highly desirable .
- Show commitment to and experience in community-based, participatory, field-oriented research and experiential learning approaches.
- Good networking skills; existing relations with government, private, and NGO actors in agricultural production.
- Previous experience with gender mainstreaming in agribusiness projects highly desirable.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills in English.
- Knowledge of one or more languages in project area desirable.
- An ability to apply systems perspectives to natural resource management issues
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) should Apply Online by clicking on the link below. Follow the instructions on how to create resume and Apply.
Deadline: 3rd October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline