Job Title: Finance Director
Organisation: University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Project Name: USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Party
University Research Co., LLC (URC) is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
About USAID ASSIST Project:
The USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) Project is a five-year cooperative agreement (October 2012-September 2017) awarded to University Research Co., LLC and is dedicated to improving health, population and nutrition services through technical support to service delivery institutions, country Ministries of Health, USAID country missions, and cooperating agencies.
Job Summary: The Finance Director is responsible for the financial management, internal control systems, and reporting requirements of the organization in the finance department. The post is also responsible for the disbursement of donor funds ensuring strict compliance with all financial and budgetary procedures. The Director has overall responsibility for managing the Finance department and ensuring that the objectives of the team are appropriately fulfilled.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and supervision to the finance team in Kampala as well as branch offices.
- Lead the finance team in a way that result in successful implementation of projects in Uganda.
- Provide overall control to the projects’ accounting function in Uganda.
- Ensure that the finance processes and procedures are robust, compliant and supports the current activities of the project in light of the applicable rules and regulations.
- Establish a highly motivated and functional finance team.
Accounting & Reporting:
- Lead posting financial transactions in Quick Books financial reporting package & updating the system on a daily basis and ensuring proper coding and numbering of receipts.
- Lead preparation of the monthly expenditure reports, bank reconciliation, and monitor petty cash accounts in line with organizational and donor requirements and deadlines.
- Prepare and submit timely financials reports and technical advice in related issues.
- Review monthly Quick books reports to ensure that expenses are posted correctly.
- Review and approve all the periodic reports, budget requests and manage all the communication with URC Home Office.
Manage finances & Payments:
- The jobholder will lead the preparation and distribution of cheques to appropriate authorities including URA, NSSF, PAYE.
- Ensure appropriate maintenance of the bank accounts, confirm receipt of funds and oversee the project petty cash fund.
- Prepare, distribute and track travel advances for staff and outside coaches/facilitators on site visits and workshops and follow-up on money/accountability owed.
- Keenly review of staff Accountabilities.
- Receive and deposit funds and ensure execution of checks for payments of approved expenses.
- Prepare tax payments and social insurance contributions for local employees and consultants as required.
Internal control, Audit Functions and Policy compliance.
- Uphold to the Organization’s Financial & internal control systems.
- Maintain financial systems and controls to ensure the efficiency, integrity and transparency of the office operations in accordance with URC guidelines, national legal requirements and internationally accepted accounting standards.
- The jobholder will establish and implement financial procedures in line with the organizational requirements.
- Assist and support the Director Operations in ensuring the field expenditures meet URC and international donor Requirements and remain within the approved plans and budgets.
Supervision & Staff Development:
- Supervise and manage the performance and development of the Finance team.
- Ensure continuous professional development for the finance team including formal training and on-the-job coaching.
Record Keeping & documentation: Maintain financial and accounting records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments; statements and other day-to-day transactions
- Provide on-going support & mentoring to project Staff with regard to project financial systems & procedures.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the USAID ASSIST Finance Director job placement must have at least seven years of related government contracting/USAID experience, with five or more years of financial and staff management experience.
- Broad knowledge of GAAP, the FAR and OMB Circular A-133 reporting, and transactional requirements
- The applicant must be proficient in QuickBooks, MS Excel, and Word
- Proven experience conducting business in an international developing country context.
- Excellent track record of working with teams in the field and mentoring staff.
- Proven ability to work well with executives, diverse staff at all levels.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, organizational skills, with a problem-solving attitude who works both independendy and as a collaborative team player.
- Previous experience working well under pressure with flexibility to adapt to changing work requirements are essential.
- Candidates must be skilled strategic thinkers, and performance management driven.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field and work with field staff as needed.
NB: This job is open to both local and international candidates.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send application letters, updated CVs, and relevant academic documents as well as names and contact information for three professional references and day time contact numbers to:
The Human Resource Officer- USAID ASSIST Project,
University Research Co., LLC, Plot 40, Ntinda II Road, Naguru,
P.O. Box 28745, Kampala, Uganda.
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 19th August 2016
NB: Please indicate the position in the subject if you are sending electronically. Applications will be shortlisted as they come in and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline