Job Title: Finance Officer
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: International Finance and Administrative Officer
Position Grade: NOA
Reference Number: 16-0022026
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely: Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food & Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture & Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer will support the stewardship of WFP’s resources, monitoring budgets, forecasting, reporting on key data and providing basic administrative and human resource functions that enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance to beneficiaries is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintain awareness of corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise.
· Regularly report on key data for financial status and outcomes of projects in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes are complied with.
· Actively contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, aligned with Regional and wider WFP strategy, policies and processes to meet the food assistance needs of beneficiaries within the Country.
· Monitor budgets, and carry out forecasting for new and ongoing projects according to established corporate procedures and requirements.
· Carry out bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements.
· Where necessary, deliver core administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to WFP staff.
· Where necessary, carry out basic human resource functions related to staff benefits, recruitment of local staff, and training.
· Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, providing management with financial, staffing and resource usage information to enable them to make informed decisions.
· Track and collate data to support others to improve policies, systems and procedures in order to minimize financial risks, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and ensure services are aligned with business objectives.
· Actively contribute to the delivery of financial controls and insight into WFP performance, supporting periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
· Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
· Represent unit/CO at internal meetings, external meetings and events with other UN agencies, banks and other financial institutions, or other partners and entities as required.
· Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
· Perform any other duties as required by the International Finance and Administrative Officer.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Finance Officer career opportunity should hold an advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration and Accounting or related field obtained from a recognized institution Or first University degree in Finance, Business Administration and Accounting with additional years of related work experience;
· A minimum of six (6) years of relevant working experience in Finance gained from a reputable organizations;
· Membership to the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) or Institute of Certified Public Accountants (ICPA);
· Writing and organizational skills that lead to timely documentation and submission of reports;
· Good knowledge and skills in using MS Office applications;
· Excellent command of English is vital.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme to submit their applications online, Click Here
Step 1: Register and create your online CV
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NB: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline: 1st September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline