Job Title: Legal Assistant
Organization: InterAid Uganda Limited (IAU)
Funding Source: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Legal Advocate
InterAid Uganda Limited (IAU) is a non-governmental humanitarian national organization established in 1988, and duly registered with the NGO Board and NGO Forum. IAU is actively involved in programs geared towards the protection and improvement of lives of disadvantaged people living in urban and rural areas in Uganda and in the Great Lakes Region. InterAid Uganda is focused on its thematic areas of Rights Protection, Education, Livelihood & Food Security, Health (HIV&AIDS; Malaria; Maternal and Reproductive Health), Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Environment and Disaster Management and good Management and Governance systems.
Job Summary: The Legal Assistant will provide technical support to the legal section in planning and coordinating activities of IAU legal section, ensure compliance with laws and regulations, and ensure best practices in the legal section.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will support the Legal Advocate with implementation of all the planned activities and accomplishing of targets as scheduled.
- Provide legal counselling to Refugees and Asylum Seekers.
- The incumbent will educate refugees on the refugee law in Uganda and interpretation of the laws.
- Actively participate in all the community activities where necessary and as guided by the Legal Advocate and handle legal issues raised by clients.
- Carry out follow-ups on cases reported from time to time as guided by the supervisor and provide a report.
- Document the best practices implemented, success stories and case studies at the community level for dissemination and learning
- Conduct field visits as required and compile reports for the Legal Advocate for further intervention and appropriate management of cases.
- Attend and participate in sections and staff meetings.
- Screen clients for protection appointment
- Support the Legal Officer in driving peaceful co-existence in the Refugee Settlement as guided by the Legal Advocate.
- Keep Records of the Legal Sector, manage and update all cases handled by the Sector by inputting them in Individual Case Sheets.
- Provide legal support advise to managers and the organisation at large
- Provide Legal Counselling to IAU Staff.
- The incumbent will identify, assess and develop strategies to mitigate against organisation risks related to the legal section.
- Ensure compliance with the existing laws of Uganda.
- Provide support in developing and implementing internal review programme to ensure that the organisation complies with legal procedures and regulations
- Carry out all necessary actions to ensure that the organisation meets its legal requirements.
- Perform any other duties assigned from time to time by the Legal Advocate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Degree in law from a recognized institution.
- Possession of a Post graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from Law Development Centre is an added advantage.
- At least one year’s relevant work experience.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian/Refugee laws will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills.
- High level of integrity
- Computer literate with knowledge of MS Word, MS EXCEL, MS Power point.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good team player
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their cover letters, updated CVs and photo copies of their professional qualifications including three referees via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver to our address below.
Plot 1102 Block 8,
Kabala Anjagala Road P.O. Box 737,
Deadline: 31st August 2016 by 5:00pm.
NB : Only short listed candidates will be contacted. In case you do not hear from us by 29th February, 2016, please consider your application unsuccessful. Please quote the Position being applied for on your application and envelope.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline