Job Title: Internal Controller
Organization: Plan International
Project Name: Girls’ Advocacy Alliance (GAA) project
Duty Station: Kamuli, Uganda
Reports to: Risk Assurance Manager
Plan International was founded over 75 years ago and is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations (non-profit / INGOs) in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan's vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
About GAA Project:
Plan International is implementing a five-year youth-led Girls Advocacy Alliance (GAA) project in partnership with Restless Development and Terres Des Hommes. The programme will promote a youth-led approach to building capacity of CSOs and generate evidence that will be used to engage with key decision makers and hold them accountable on girls’ economic and protection rights.
Job Summary: The Internal Controller will offer support in the achievement of objectives of the Girls Advocacy Alliance (GAA) project and the fulfillment of the accountabilities of partners, including those of its management and staff by providing independent and objective assurance and advisory services that assess and analyze the effectiveness and adequacy of Plan International Uganda’s risk management, controls and governance processes and report on the results. The jobholder will be tasked with the examination and evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of the governance and risk management process, system of internal control, and the quality of performance in implementation of the GAA project and grants to achieve Plan International Uganda’s stated goals and objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Prepares audit programmes and conduct audits to assess compliance/adherence to policies, plans, procedures, laws, regulations, contracts or other Plan International Uganda or Partner requirements following the risk based methodology.
· The incumbent guides the projects audit by working within the confines of the project risk register.
· Keenly reviews and tests the agreed GAA Plan International Uganda and partner projects financial transactions and confirm that those transactions are relevant to the projects. (Relevant shall mean that the transactions do not violate budgets, or work plans, or activity plans and that those transactions do not conflict with agreements or other project documents).
· Visits project sites implemented by GAA partners to physically ascertain the implemented project activities – activities that have been reported as done.
· Manages compliance of terms and conditions of agreements by all partners.
· Evaluates evidence about the adequacy of projects risk management arrangements of Plan International Uganda and partners.
· Carries out appropriate follow-ups on previous engagement observations and agreed actions for GAA project work.
· Reviews the grant management process in accordance with grants management standards.
· Prepares and submits all audit and other related reports to Risk Manager and follows up to evaluate adequacy of corrective actions for the GAA project.
· Defines and provides detail information about unmitigated risk causes, and strategies that are agreed on with management to adequately manage risk exposures, and improve system resilience.
· Maintains all records in relation to the project audit assignments as confidential, including audit reports, audit programme and working papers for reference.
· Determines if GAA project assets are safeguarded and verifies the existence of the assets.
· Supports the capacity development processes for partners in order to increase their capacity in risk management.
· Dealing with Problems: Negative perception on audit, managed through sensitisation of staff about auditing.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Plan International Internal Controller vacancy should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree, preferably, in Business with specialisation in Accounting, is an added advantage.
· An intermediate level professional accountancy qualification such as, CIA/CPA/ACCA.
· At least three years working experience in a similar position in a reputable institution.
· Previous exposure and experience in auditing of Community Based Development Organisations and grant funded projects
· Good computer skills with ability to work with spreadsheets.
· Prior practical working knowledge of IT general controls, development processes, application controls and interfaces in complex environments using SAP or similar ERP applications is highly desirable.
· Good team work
· Natural inquisitiveness
· High degree of persuasiveness
· Must be a person of integrity
· Must be assertive and mature
· Global mindset
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their letters of application, together with updated CVs, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant certificates, names and contact details of three references plus salary history and send to:
The Ag. Country Human Resources Manager,
Email to: email@example.com.
NB: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from us by 30th November 2016.
Deadline: 2nd September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline