Job Title: Health Operations Manager
Organisation: World Health Organisation (WHO)
Vacancy Notice No: HQ/16/ROST29
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: WHO Incident Manager
The World Health Organisation (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations (UN) system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Job Summary: The Health Operations Manager will manage the team, guide, and ensure implementation of the response plan. Set standards and norms, develop and disseminate technical guidance and validate training, resource mobilization and communication materials. The incumbent will also manage the coverage of all health operations in support to the MOH, work with partners and facilitate the implementation of the WHO's most effective prevention, control and response measures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the planning and implementation of communicable diseases programmes addressing the risk of outbreak and/or health emergency, co-develop action plans for interventions in high-risks groups and recommend measures for special attention.
- In charge of monitoring the early prevention, detection, verification, assessment and investigation of any risks of outbreaks and the dissemination of data related to the occurrence of outbreaks
- Manage the rapid response teams responsible for the rapid investigation of alerts, field risk assessments and early response.
- Support the information systems on Communicable Diseases and the monitoring of progress towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC) facilitating integration with the national health information systems.
- Carry out periodic reporting and treatment of communicable diseases activities.
- Ensure that the messages are technically sound and socio-culturally appropriate to induce, engage and empower stakeholders in the prevention, mitigation and control of risks
Health Service Delivery:
- Support national authorities and partners on equipping the health facilities with the necessary infrastructure, equipment, drugs, public health laboratories and blood safety, and medical supplies to address the existing and foreseen risks and to prevent the dissemination of infectious diseases within the facilities.
- Regularly monitor that health facilities provide quality preventive and curative health care to the affected population and continue to deliver routine essential health service in addition to responding to the cause of the crisis. Make appropriate recommendations where necessary.
- Support capacity building and training of local staff on best preventive, diagnostic, control and curative knowledge, practices and standards.
Prevention and Control Measures:
- Make recommendations and give guidance on relevant courses of actions to be taken in affected as well as non- affected areas /countries in order to prevent and/or control cause of excess morbidity and mortality.
- Provide technical assistance on vaccination, enhanced surveillance, vector control, infection control (including personal protection), enhanced sanitation and hygiene, increased provision of water and/or nutrients, prepositioning of drugs and medical supplies, etc.
Sciences and Research:
- Carry out research in etiology, physiopathology, transmission, reliable and rapid diagnostic, effective prevention and treatment of any of the causes of excess morbidity and mortality of the affected population and recommend remedial actions.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidates for the World Health Organization (WHO) Health Operations Manager career opportunity should hold an Advanced University degree (Master’s level or above) in Medicine, Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Systems/Services Administration or related field. First university degree in Medicine or Public Health from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Specialized training in emergency management; specific training in humanitarian response.
- A minimum of seven years of related experience, at the national and international level, in health operations, with proven experience in managing outbreaks and health emergencies. Related experience in managing human and financial resources.
- Prior work experience in outbreaks and/or health emergency management is desired
- Related development and implementation of strategies and action plans within WHO and/or UN agencies.
- Previous experience working in relevant non-governmental or humanitarian organizations.
- Proven skills in and knowledge of the rapid response operations and their implementation in emergencies as related to public health, complemented by demonstrated ability to identify and manage difficult situations.
- Demonstrated skills will manage multidisciplinary and multinational staff.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the theory, principles, methods and techniques of public health, communicable diseases and health service delivery.
- Languages: Excellent knowledge of English or French (depending on the country of assignment). Working knowledge of another WHO official language would be an asset.
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Respecting and promoting cultural differences.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Promoting WHO's position in health leadership
- Good computer skills i.e. Knowledge of office software applications..
How to Apply:
All candidates who so desire to join the United Nations World Health Organisation (WHO) by sending their online applications to enable WHO to store their personal profiles in a permanent database. Visit WHO’s e-recruitment website below and follow the instructions for online application procedures.
NB: All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Deadline: 12th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline