Job Title: Database Administrator
Organization: National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager MIS
The National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) was established on the passing of the Uganda Registration of Persons Act, 2015. The Act was made to harmonise and consolidate the law on registration of persons; to provide for registration of individuals and to establish a national identification register. It provides for the mandatory registration of all Ugandan citizens within Uganda and abroad as well as aliens identification cards and for related matters.
Job Summary: The Database Administrator will be in charge of ensuring the performance, integrity and security of all NIRA databases. The DBA will as also be responsible for designing methods to store, analyze, utilize and organize data. S/he will set up computer databases after identifying user needs as well as lead the migration of data from old systems to new system if needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent designs, implements and enforces comprehensive maintenance procedures for NIRA’s database systems.
- The incumbent manages database and file systems including space usage.
- Performs data recovery in the event of disk crashes.
- Offers technical support to all existing software applications in use by NIRA.
- Keenly monitors system and database logs and activity of all users within the system and provides solutions to database problems faced by the users.
- Assists in the running of end-of-day (EOD) and end-of-month (EOM) processes.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Manager MIS
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) Database Administrator job vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or a related field is required.
- Applicants with recognized professional ICT qualifications in database administration such as OCA, OCP, MCTS SQL and MCDBA will have an added advantage.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with a structured query language (SQL) database with a reputable organization.
- Working knowledge of database tasks including database performance tuning, database security, database backups, promoting process improvement, database management, and data maintenance.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of procedural and structured query languages.
- Knowledge of 'relational database management systems' (RDBMS), 'object oriented database management systems' (OODBMS) and XML database management systems.
- Working knowledge of Server and PC operating systems.
- Ability to train users on database concepts and methodologies as well as specific application utilization and configuration.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 24th August, 2016
NB: If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline