Job Title: Branch Manager - 90090542
Organisation: Barclays Bank UK
Duty Station: Parliament Avenue, Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Manager
About Barclays UK:
Barclays is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London. It is a universal bank with operations in retail, wholesale and investment banking, as well as wealth management, mortgage lending and credit cards. It has operations in over 50 countries and territories and has around 48 million customers. As of 31 December 2011, Barclays had total assets of US$2.42 trillion, the seventh-largest of any bank worldwide.
Job Summary: The Barclays Branch Manager will primarily drive and deliver exceptional retail business performance, through the provision of efficient business management, powerful leadership, team development and achievement of operational rigour excellence in branches with up to 25 staff members or branches with single customer categories.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. People Management – 30%
- Build and develop a high performing team through embedding performance development and coaching. Ensure that team members receive coaching and feedback in order to develop to achieve their maximum potential.
- Oversee the End-to-End PD process
- Routinely recommend reward allocations for all branch staff, including bonus and pay increases.
- Determine and manage Training Needs Analysis and Succession plans for all direct reports.
- Responsible for hiring team members based on short-lists of candidates compiled by HR.
- Responsible for conducting exit interviews for all employee-initiated departures from the bank. Provide results of exit interviews to HR for review and analysis.
- Manage staff attendance levels, including approval of leave. Compile monthly absence statistics (annual leave, sick leave, family responsibility leave, maternity leave, study leave etc), and submit to HR for record keeping.
- Directly responsible for discipline – initiate misconduct or incapacity charges, follow Barclays discipline processes together with HR and an independent chairperson. Build the case files where required.
- Actively motivate subordinate staff and ensure they are recognized through the Barclays Africa recognition schemes.
- Create an empowering environment for branch staff, encouraging individual ownership and initiative.
- Deliver powerful communications with branch colleagues to ensure they understand the vision and goals of the company and of your branch. This will include running team meetings, morning huddles, one to one meetings and written communications
- Create and maintain a succession plan for the branch
- Create an empowering environment for branch staff, encouraging individual ownership and initiative
- Provide mentoring and development opportunities for members of the branch team.
- Provide cover for Branch Managers at other outlets when required.
- Provide honest, direct and constructive feedback to others.
- The incumbent may need to deputize for Regional Manager if required.
- Share knowledge experience and best practice with team members and other branch manage.
2. Customer Service: 25%
- Accountable for the delivery of outstanding customer experience through service and sales within their branch
- Regularly present in the banking hall speaking to customers and understanding their questions and needs
- Monitor the customer satisfaction results of the branch collected through various methods (surveys, touchpads etc). Establish targets for improvement and action plans to ensure customer satisfaction is continually improving.
- Ensure that branch staff own and manage customer queries and complaints by taking ownership and resolving in a timely manner. Act as the escalation point for their unresolved queries and complaints.
- Build relationships with key customers, clients and businesses within the branch locality
- Understand fully the Barclays product on offer, and makes suggestions to product teams around changes and enhancements to products.
- Implements new product sets with assistance from specialist product managers and ensures all staff are fully aware and knowledgeable about product features and benefits
- Steer customer focused behaviour in the branch by role modelling great customer service
- Ensure that merchandising materials are displayed in accordance with guidelines and is useful to customers
- Regularly review and provide feedback on SLA’s with internal service providers
- Through effective banking hall management ensure that customers are directed to the most appropriate service delivery channel to meet their need e.g. cashiers, drop boxes ATM's etc.
- Manage remote and manual authorizations, by assigning responsibility for authorizers, and personally authorizing high-value transactions, to ensure efficient counter service.
- Interact regularly with internal service providers (e.g. Operations, KYC Helpdesk) to ensure fast and efficient service to customers.
- Interview all customers who want to close their accounts because of poor service or high tariffs to determine the root cause and to attempt to retain.
3. Control Management:
- Ensure compliance with operations risk and rigour requirements e.g. Health & Safety standards, security of premises, KYC and Anti-Money Laundering measures.
- Ensure that all staff in the branch adhere to all Barclays Information Security policies and procedures through regular communication to staff and spot checks.
- Review results of snap checks and progress on action plans.
- Carry out regular quality checks on all processes, focusing on transactions with high financial levels and operational risks of the process, including Branch Crisis Management, systems, reviewing control reports, etc.
- Ensure that all Barclays Africa procedures are followed through regular communication to staff and spot checks.
- Regularly report all incidents within the branch in line with the bank’s incident reporting procedures
- Systems administration (user maintenance) in conjunction with the Branch Operations Manager
- Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards. Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role.”
4. Financial Management Control and Analysis:
- Accountable for achieving annual sales targets as cascaded from the Area Manager. Monitoring of progress towards achieving targets is done on a regular basis, at least monthly.
- The Branch manager is also responsible for maintaining a healthy balance sheet in the branch i.e. ensuring the assets on the books of the branch are performing to expected standards, that low quality assets are kept to a minimum and that the earnings contribution of the branch is within acceptable levels.
- Even though the branch manager may not be the cost centre owner directly, the incumbent is responsible for strict cost management in that branch i.e. reviewing all service provider quotations before the work can proceed. In addition, the branch manager is expected to conduct detailed analysis, on a monthly basis, of the following cost elements: Overtime approvals, Equipment maintenance, Stationary consumption/telephones, Sundry losses, Staff costs
- Active involvement and accountability for making purchase/ refund business decisions within set limits e.g. Sundry loss, Potential Loss Accounts (PLA), customer refunds. Can approve release of deceased funds within predetermined limit.
5. Community: 5%
- Actively participate in local community events and networking opportunities (e.g. clubs, meetings, business associations)
- In charge of developing the external market and community profile needed to maximize the local marketing opportunity
- Identify community initiatives to become involved in and support as part of Barclays community initiatives (such as Make a Difference Day, Local community initiative, Financial Literacy)
- Link community initiatives to both business opportunities and colleague events
- Actively promote community agenda within the branch to build pride within colleagues and customers
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Barclays Branch Manager job placement should preferably hold a First degree or diploma or relevant experience in a front-line banking sales/marketing/service environment or possess relevant experience to compensate
- A minimum of three years’ Retail supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of Competitor product sales experience and Operational Awareness is an added advantage.
- The incumbent for the Banking job must possess detailed knowledge of the full Barclays Retail product set, Local Business services and an overview of Corporate Business services, including Treasury.
- Broad understanding of technical support systems e.g. Flexcube, Sybrin
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of Barclays Retail strategy, operating structure and interface with other functions
- Good understanding of Risk and Credit policies and procedures
- Detailed understanding of people policies and procedures
- Up to date knowledge of competitor and market activity in local area
- Working knowledge of Brand and Leadership Development
- Good team building skills
- Recruitment Skills
- PD Team Leader
- Skills in People Management
- Excellent coaching and training skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Business Management/Financial Management
- Performance Management skills
- Resource Management
- Cultural and Change Management
- Excellent planning skills
- Good PC Skills
- Decision-making skills
- Sales management skills
- Conflict Management
- Time Management
- Effective Coaching
- Leading and Rewarding Performance
- Presentation skills
- Situational leadership
- Manpower planning
- Managing for Value (Financial Management)
How to Apply:
If you feel challenged by any of the above positions, and believe you can deliver on key deliverables as outlined above, upload your application letter, current curriculum vitae and photocopies of academic certificate to our recruitment website detail below:
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, develops and promotes people on merit, and rewards outstanding performance, regardless of background and gender.
For queries contact us on 0417122453 or email: email@example.com
Deadline: 9th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline