Job Title: Project Communication Specialist
Organization: Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports
Funding Source: World Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Projects – UTSEP
The Ministry of Education Science, Technology and Sports implements the Business, Technical, Vocational Education and Training (BTVET) Strategic Plan (2012/3 – 2021/2) Skilling Uganda and authorized the Ministry of Education Science, Technology and Sports (MoESTS) to implement it. The Plan denotes a paradigm shift for skills development in Uganda and addresses inadequacies based on a comprehensive analysis of the sub-sector in terms of relevance, equity, quality, organizational effectiveness and internal efficiency. The plan seeks to transform the BTVET system from an educational sub-sector into a comprehensive system of skills development for employment, productivity, and growth.
About World Bank SDP Project:
The Government of Uganda applied for US $ 100,000,000 financing from the World Bank for the Skills Development Project (SDP) and its objective is to enhance the capacity of institutions to deliver high quality and demand driven training programs in the agriculture (agro-processing), construction and manufacturing sectors. The purpose of SDP is to create a scalable model for high quality vocational and technical training which is linked to labor market needs for specific sectors. The model comprises of establishing Centers of Excellence (CoE) with a network of vocational institutions (with well-prepared students; well-trained faculty; high quality, relevant curricula; adequate facilities and equipment; teaching resources and assessment systems), an institutional framework that encompasses sector skill councils.
Job Summary: The Project Communication Specialist will manage IDA projects’ communications by technically supporting the IDA - PCU in ensuring timely and appropriate generation, collection, dissemination, storage, and ultimate disposition of projects information. The Project Communication Specialist will ensure timely and regular information dissemination and sharing of information to stakeholders on Projects implementation issues and ensure effective stakeholder participation and support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Generate specific outputs (deliverables) as determined form time to time in the respective projected work plans for each quarter and on each project.
· The jobholder will define/develop and supervise implementation of the Projects’ Communication Strategies in line with the Projects’ Development Objectives.
· Assess information needs of stakeholders and prepare targeted messages on Project issues.
· In charge of the promotion of positive culture and image of projects; including maintaining regular liaison with the broader implementation team in the capture and dissemination of project related information. This implies marketing Projects for greater visibility and access by the target population.
· Work in liaison with communities benefiting under these Projects to ensure information needs are disseminated/fulfilled.
· Maintain a media profile for all relevant issues and support follow-up on special issues of public interest such as Educational Institutions’ Standards, Education Sector HIV/AIDS Awareness, Environmental Conservation, Resettlement of any Project Affected Persons, Gender Mainstreaming, Good Governance and Accountability, Acts and Industry Specifics etc.
· Coordinate the development and production of materials in liaison with the various Programme Specialists and stakeholders to ensure quality and timely dissemination.
· Actively monitor and evaluate the implementation of the communication strategies.
· Work closely with print/electronic media on promotion of Projects’ activities.
· Explore and utilise traditional media to disseminate Projects’ messages through songs, drama and theatre etc as may be applicable.
· Keenly review information on the Projects’ webpages (sites) and other e-platforms and provide content development support and ensure websites/platforms promotion on a regular basis.
· Organise media events such as press conferences, talk-shows, interviews of key members of the project implementation team and other stakeholders on public and private media.
· Manage media activities such as organising visits to projects’ sites, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage, radio interviews and special events, and utilise both web-based and traditional media when appropriate to generate and maintain public interest on Project issues, and tell the story of Projects’ contribution to national economic development.
· Mentor and supervise the development of printed, multimedia and/or web-based publications (case studies, research reports, project updates, newsletters etc) and provide quality control in line with the education sector identity standards.
· Generate specific outputs (deliverables) as determined from time to time in the respective projected work plans for each quarter on each project.
· Perform any other duties as may be assigned to him/her from time to time.
Key Performance Indicators:
· Development of the IDA Projects’ Communication Strategy.
· Assessing information needs of key stakeholders as well as public relations.
· Regularly (at least once a quarter) furnish the MoESTS and the public with information on the implementation progress of the projects.
· Monitoring and evaluation of IDA Projects’ Communication Strategy.
· Coordinate preparation of information to update the IDA Projects’ webpage(s) on the Ministry website, other e-platforms and multimedia.
· Development of materials and multimedia productions for social media on all projects.
· Development of Communication Procurement Plans, Work Plans and Budgets.
· UTSEP, ARSDP, USDP and BTVET branding, advocacy and communication strategies to be submitted within two months of the commencement of the PCS’s services.
· Press releases, speeches, briefing notes, fact sheets, brochures etc throughout the duration of the PCS’s contract.
· Quarterly reports on communications activities in the projects submitted throughout the duration of the PCS’s contract.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold an advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Media Studies or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area combined with advanced university degree in a related discipline.
· A minimum of ten years' progressively responsible professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media and programme monitoring and evaluation, of which two years should be in Uganda or other developing countries.
· Working experience in public sector or large non-governmental institution(s) will be an added advantage.
· The Specialist shall also be experienced in designing and implementing development communications strategies.
· Demonstrated ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written form; specific skills in writing press releases, speeches, articles/stories for traditional and electronic media, report writing and editing.
· Proven ability to conceptualise, plan and execute ideas, as well as impart knowledge and teaching skills.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively manage relationships with media, government officials, the general public and Development Partners.
· Strong working knowledge of computer systems and any interactive digital media applications and platforms including but not limited to Web 2.0 tools.
· Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team as well as deliver under pressure.
· High degree of honesty, integrity and versatility
· High organisational capability.
· Ability to work in rural settings with multi-disciplinary teams.
· Fluency in English and one local language of Uganda.
· Membership in related professional association(s) will be added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications to the following address;
Commissioner Human Resource Management,
Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports,
4th Floor, Room 10,
P.O. Box 7063
Deadline: 23rd July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline