Job Title: Associate Accountant
Organisation: Evidence Action
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Associate Payroll and Accounting
Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world. We fill the gap between knowing “what works” and having impact at scale. We implement cost-effective interventions whose efficacy is backed by substantial rigorous evidence. We identify innovative, appropriate financing mechanisms and build best practice operational models. We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling with a commitment to transparency on progress, impact, and value for money.
Job Summary: The Associate Accountant will provide accounting support in monitoring and evaluating activity implementation for the Programme and assigned projects in line with policies and procedures and donor grant agreements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for overseeing the Processing of payments within 48hrs of request
- Responsible for timely and accurate maintenance of the accounting system by ensuring accurate entries are done and charged to the correct donor.
- Responsible for verifying all payment vouchers for accuracy and completeness before processing and posting into the accounting system-Sage.
- Represent Finance team in various program meetings at field office level.
- Ensure accurate and timely Cash disbursements and Ensure proper documentation of all payments to staff and vendors
- Provide financial and compliance guideline/training to field staff.
- Ensure accurate petty cash disbursement, monitoring and allocations.
- Manage accounts receivable from staff.
- Follow-up with the staff on periodic staff returns status.
- Keenly review for compliance with donor and organizational policies/guidelines on all payments.
- Prepare timely staff returns tracking sheet for Program manager’s review.
- Ensure timely entries into the system that will facilitate Preparation of financial reports of all grants for submission to management by the 15th of every following month.
- Initiate and engage regular review meetings with project Managers to resolve and discuss various financial and accounting issues and queries.
- Actively participate in internal audits as scheduled and in external audits by providing auditors with accounting documents as requested and providing explanations for audit queries.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Providing accurate and timely reports on staff advances
- Ensuring all support documentation for all payments and staff returns are in line with the policy and procedures of Evidence Action.
- Maintaining the petty cash register and reports as outlined in the Finance and accounting manual.
- Ensuring all data entries in the accounting system are accurately recorded on a timely basis.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should at least hold a Bachelor’s degree in Finance or a related field
- Professional Qualifications i.e. CPA II or ACCA II
- A minimum of two years’ experience performing responsibilities required for the position and demonstrating progress in the role.
- Previous experience in managing community based programs
- Prior audit experience and managing of donor funded grants is desirable
- Previous exposure and experience in the use of the electronic accounting software.
- Strong team leader and player
- Excellent communication, high computer literacy levels (SPSS) and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who desire to join Evidence Action in the aforementioned capacity should apply by visiting the web link below.
Deadline: 12th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline