Job Title: Customs Officer (Tariff and Valuation)
Organisation: East African Community
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Reports to: Principal Valuation Officer
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Job Summary: The Customs Officer (Tariff and Valuation) will provide technical input and facilitate work in the development and implementation of EAC customs tariff, valuation and application of rules of origin.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer technical input in guiding the implementation on Customs Tariff and Nomenclature;
- Carry out research on customs tariff, valuation and rules of origin;
- Make proposals and technical input in the review of the EAC tariff regimes based on the policy requirements and WCO updated versions of the harmonised description and coding system.
- Interpret developments on the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding Systems (HS) and ensure the decisions of the WCO regarding classification of goods is promptly disseminated to the Partner States;
- Offer support in the development of strategies and plans on EAC tariff regime and valuation system consistent with WTO/WCO Agreements and Conventions;
- Collect and analyse customs data/ trade flows and participate in the development of EAC Trade Reports;
- Offer support in the development of systems for exchange of information on administrative rulings on classification and valuation of goods between Partner States Customs administration
- Keenly analyse and disseminate guidelines on international trends related to Customs Valuation (WTO/WCO) to Partner;
- Assist in the development Customs Valuation guidelines and maintain a master valuation database for reference purposes;
- Develop training and sensitization programmes and train/sensitise officials and stakeholders on customs valuation, classification and rules of origin;
- Develop and review user manuals on tariff, valuation and rules of origin;
- Offer support in the administration and implementation of EAC Rules of Origin in EAC including circulation of signatures, verification and investigation processes, arbitration and provision of technical input;
- Proof read, edit and make a follow up on the publications of EAC Customs tariff documents;
- Facilitate meetings related to Customs technical aspects on valuation, classification and Rules of origin;
- Assist in the necessary investigations, collections of information in collaboration with Partner States Revenue Authorities, on violations of rules of origin;
- Assist in the preparation of progress and annual reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the East African Community Customs Officer (Tariff and Valuation) job vacancy must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Statistics, Information Technology, Law or an equivalent degree from a recognised University/Institution.
- Specialized training in Customs is a necessary requirement for this position.
- At least five years of relevant experience in Customs.
- Skills and Competencies: Proficiency in computer applications with hands-on skills in a Customs Computer system; Management skills, planning skills, negotiations skills, networking skills, research skills, supervisory skills, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Age: Below 55 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three (3) referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate or Passport showing the date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and the envelope. For electronic submissions, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and forward to the address given below.
- Please submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional certificates; or fail to provide three referees shall be disqualified.
All invitations for interviews shall be done in writing to:
Executive Selection Division,
Deloitte Consulting Limited,
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Monday, 15th August 2016, 17:00Hrs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline