Job Title: Senior Program Coordinator (SPC)
Organisation: American Refugee Committee (ARC) International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) International is an international non-profit, nonsectarian organization that provides humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries around the world. The ARC seeks to promote peaceful and safe communities where men and women have equal rights and communities can access locally owned, high-quality services.
Job Summary: The Senior Program Coordinator will acts as the focal point for the program department and will be in charge of the oversight, management and leadership of ARC Uganda programs and new programs development including program designing and proposal writing, and M&E portfolio
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Program Management, M&E and Reporting - 50%
· Develop a grant management plan (work plan, spending plan and targets) soon after the grant is approved by donor in collaboration the finance, HR and operations department
· The job holder will provide leadership and management support including project planning, implementation and control
· Closely monitor program implementation and budget utilization/ burn rate and ensure that program and spending targets are met working programs personnel and provincial coordinator on monthly spending plan based on budget Vs actual analysis
· Keenly monitor compliance with donor and ARC regulations and policies in the course of program implementation
· Ensure meeting deadline of ARC Kampala office and ARC HQ requests with regards to programmatic issues and others
· Ensure timely production of high quality donor report
· Ensure regular communications between programs and field support as well Kampala office support department with regards to finance, HR and operation (logistics, procurement, IT and security) on-time support.
· Ensure on-time monthly report including other reports to Country Director
· Provide leadership in developing /strengthening and managing a strong result-based monitoring and feedback tools/system
· Work closely with donors
· Ensure that an evidence based evaluation system is in place to learn the impacts
· Make monthly and quarterly financial forecast in consultation with Provincial Coordinator and submit to finance department in ARC Kampala
· Build capacity of programs staff as required
· Oversee program implementing partner issues in the field
· Actively participate in project budget review
2. Program Development - 40%
· Act as the focal point for program development and lead out in the development of high quality and innovative proposals according to donor’ requirement and liaise with ARC HQ programs development department as well as donors as required
· Work in liaison with the Country director and core programs personnel to implement, monitor and evaluate the ARC Uganda program strategy in order for shaping the strategic direction and growth of the ARC Uganda programs.
· Co-lead with the Finance Controller and programs personnel in the development of budget of new projects ensuring donor and ARC HQ requirement and met
· Conceptualize, design and develop project concept notes through coordinating and analyzing needs assessment in coordination with program personnel and provincial coordinator
· Maximize the efficient use of resources and efficacy in meeting the needs if beneficiaries
· Steer the writing up and submission of proposals on time to submit to ARC HQ for review and ensure that proposal are submitted to donors on time through appropriate HQ and fed contact
· Render support to the ARC department to coordinate and ensure programmatic linkages at every stage of the program design and implementation stage
· Follow up with ARC HQ and donors as required
· Build capacity of local staff in the area of program development
· Lead out in identifying sources of funding for new program initiatives to expand donor base
3. Presentation and Coordination - 10%
· Represent ARC in meetings with local authorities, donors, and other members of the humanitarian community.
· Attend cluster meetings, as appropriate and other coordination forums, to coordinate and prevent duplication with UN bodies, international, and national organizations.
· Support the Country Director with strategic planning, representation and developing and implementing a clear country-level plan.
· Project the image of ARC’s work in Uganda
· Other duties as assigned by the country Director
· Participate in core management team activities
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Master’s degree and a four year degree in a relevant field (International Development)
· A minimum of seven years’ experience with humanitarian or development programs in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
· Significant experience working closely with and building the capacity of national program managers.
· Broad technical knowledge and practical experience with international humanitarian programming.
· Previous exposure and experience with program development, design, monitoring and evaluation, and proposal writing.
· Strong coordination and leadership skills with proven ability to work across multiple technical areas simultaneously, supporting multiple staff members.
· Prior experience working with donors (OFDA, USAID, UNHCR, BPRM, international and national NGOs, and government agencies).
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Previous experience working in Uganda preferred
· Computer literacy skills i.e. proficient in Microsoft Office
· Ability to travel with short notice
· Commitment to ARC’s mandate and objectives
· Experience working with diverse communities
· Highly developed organizational, liaison and communication skills
· Ability to work under own initiative and as part of a team
· Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
· Demonstrated ability to be administratively self-sufficient
· Available for some evening and weekend hours
· Fluency in written and spoken English.
· Exhibit the values of respect, team-spirit, non-violence, impartiality, humor, simplicity in work-style and integrity – transparency, accountability and ethical behavior in daily organizational activities.
How to Apply:
All applicants who desire to be placed by the American Refugee Committee International in the aforementioned capacity should express interest by clearly following the instructions at the web page below.
Deadline: 26th July, 2016
Deadline: 26th July, 2016