Job Title: Environment and Social Development Officer
Organization: Ministry of Water and Environment
Project Name: Farm Income Enhancement and Forestry Conservation (FIEFOC) Programme (Project 2).
Funding Source: African Development Bank (AfDB)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: National Project Coordinator
The Government of Uganda (GoU) has applied for a loan from the African Development Bank (AfDB) to finance the Farm Income Enhancement and Forestry Conservation (FIEFOC) Programme (Project 2). The project specific objective is to improve household incomes, food security, and climate resilience through sustainable natural resources management and agricultural enterprise development. The project consists of four components namely: (i) Agriculture Infrastructure Development; (ii) Agribusiness Development; (iii) Integrated Natural Resources Management; and (iv) Project Management.
Job Summary: The Environment and Social Development Officer will ensure conformity with country and ADB/NDF environmental requirements; support the project technical personnel in coordinating the implementation of the Environment and Social management Plan (ESMP); and the supervision consultants to ensure that safeguard decisions are adequately mainstreamed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer support in the Monitoring Committee to undertake regular environmental, social, safety and health monitoring of project implementation;
- Identify primary and secondary stakeholders at local level and give priority to seeking the views of the most disadvantaged and marginalized groups with communities e.g. women (especially female-headed households), and youths;
- Carry out consultation meetings with representatives from each stakeholder group (farmer groups, women groups, etc.) to disseminate information about the project; seek their opinions on proposed activities; and involve them in the design, implementation and monitoring of proposed activities including identification of specific prevention/ mitigation measures to adverse social and environmental impacts of proposed activities if any;
- Ensure that relevant stakeholders at the national and irrigation scheme level are trained in various aspects of environmental and social assessments including integration of ADB environmental and social safeguard policies and Uganda environmental regulations;
- Identify training needs of the key counterparts environmental officers at the national and district level (women in particular) and support the development and delivery of the trainings;
- Work in close coordination with the site supervisor facilitate swift resolution of environmental and social conflicts, disputes or address other issues that may affect the timely implementation of the project activities;
- Ensure the contractor shall, having regard to local conditions, make employment opportunities equally available to downstream and upstream communities during project implementation, pay attention to equity issues where different groups are located upstream and downstream;
- Keenly monitor the implementation of the ESMP to ensure the smooth implementation of activities, and where implementation challenges arise, coordinate with Project Team and other relevant stakeholders to identify appropriate solutions and facilitate the implementation of agreed activities;
- Implement grievance redress mechanism in particular, consider mechanisms that facilitate the submission of complaints by women or other potentially disadvantaged groups, who may have a more difficult time reporting problems;
- Prepare an action plan and compile monitoring reports of the ESMP implementation on monthly basis;
- Ensure rehabilitation of the works in all the areas disturbed by the contractor's construction activities are restored by the contractor to their original condition.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Social Sciences or other related disciplines from a recognized university
- Masters qualification in Environmental Management;
- At least five years’ relevant experience in community development work especially in the areas of environmental and social impact assessment and analysis, climate change, and empowerment of local actors, as well as the use of participatory tools and methodologies required;
- Environmental Practitioners registration is preferred;
- Prior and proven experience successfully implementing African Development Bank/Nordic Development Fund/ World Bank funded programs is an added advantage
- Excellent communication skill and creative thinking personality;
- Strong managerial and leadership skills and excellent computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications such as Excel, Power Point)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications accompanied with recent CV detailing work experience, present position, current remuneration, professional and educational qualifications. Applicants must also include contact details (telephone and email) of three (3) referees.
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Water and Environment,
Old Portbell Road, Luzira.
Attn: Head Human Resources Management
Deadline: 5th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline