Job Title: Data Manager (2 Job Placements)
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Entebbe and Kalungu, Uganda
Reports to: Project Leader
Position Code: DM7161 (Entebbe) and DM7160 (Kalungu)
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Data Manager will design data entry programs and data management databases; clean, check and manage data from studies conducted in the MRC and to provide simple statistics and results from those data.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the data management of the studies they are working on.
- The incumbent will modify and create data entry screens for these studies.
- Design/program the Database Management Information System for their studies, and create database tables.
- Input to the design of data collection instruments.
- Uploading data entry files into main MS Access databases.
- Resolve problems that may occur during the data entry.
- Run reports to identify and solve discrepancies, missing records/data and other problems with the data in the databases.
- Write simple queries, and modify more advanced queries to perform data cleaning, and checking.
- Regularly check the arising queries/inconsistencies from hard copies or source documents.
- Work closely with field/clinic staff on data queries and clarification.
- Ensure that these queries are turned into reports.
- Data management of studies assigned:
- Management on databases under his/her control,
- Ensure that data corrections received are updated on the main database.
Data back-up: Ensure adequate backups of the data exist on external drives and servers, and are available in case of problems.
- Transfer data from Access tables, OpenClinica to STATA and other software,
- Run simple analyses such as: merging and appending files, calculating new variables, obtaining line lists and frequencies, and graphs.
- Organise the results of these analyses into a presentable format (reports) to pass to the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Extract data and transform it to a format required by the PI, sponsors or collaborators
- Respond to questions and issues raised by the PI, regarding the data and results obtained.
- Work closely with the study PI to answer any questions related to the data or results.
- Actively contribute to result presentations: Present interim analysis at study meetings.
Skills Development: Develop skills in writing queries and reports, and in writing simple analysis STATA do-files or other syntax files.
- Ensure Data Management Assistants (DMAs) have the correct data entry program while entering their study data,
- Supervise DMAs while entering data for studies they manage.
- Staff appraisal for those supervised.
- Mentor/train Senior Data Management Assistants (SDMAs) and DMAs on database designing and data checking.
- Learn from Statisticians about already written STATA programs in order to be able to use them to generate results.
- Practical facilitation in Epidemiology and Biostatics courses when asked to do so by the Head of Statistics section or course organiser.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a data related field. Bachelor/MSc in Statistics will be desirable
- At least three years’ experience of working with data and experience as a Senior Data Management Assistant
- Should be numerate and literate
- Proficient in the use of data management software e.g. Ms Access, OpenClinica.
- Use of statistical analysis software e.g. STATA, SPSS, or EPIINFO; Skills in other computer packages i.e. MS Office – Word, Excel, Power point; Programming and Database design skills
- Quick learner able to work with minimum supervision and meet tight deadlines
- Highly organised, detail oriented and self-motivated
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position code in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Note that academic qualifications will be subjected to verification by the issuing institutions
Deadline: 29th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline