Job Title: Senior Environmental Inspector
Organization: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Principal Environmental Inspector
Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/05/2016
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to promote and ensure sound environmental management practices for sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Senior Environmental Inspector will be tasked with ensuring compliance to the national environmental laws
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keenly review and evaluate environmental Assessment reports submitted
- Conduct post-EIA inspections and audits to ensure implementation of mitigation measures;
- Regularly verify compliance with environment environmental legislation and checking the accuracy of environmental impact predictions; ;
- Maintain a database on audit practitioners and audits done;
- Initiate the development of environmental standards in priority areas of concern including coordination with lead agencies and Institutions in developing environmental audit protocols guidelines and regulations in consultation with the Legal Section;
- Ensure restoration and compensation of damages or liabilities caused;
- The incumbent will design programs and create awareness on environmental standards;
- Develop and coordinate training in environmental standards in sectoral institutions, private sector, district and lower levels;
- Provide compliance assistance to the regulated communities where required;
- Maintain and check performance on environmental monitoring equipment and;
- Perform any other relevant tasks that may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the NEMA Senior Environmental Inspector career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: (Natural or Physical sciences; Environment, Geology, Mechanical, Civil or Chemical engineering), Environmental and Natural Resource Management
- Possession of a Master’s degree in any of the above is a must;
- Specific training in Remote Sensing and Geographical Information science shall be an added advantage;
- Additional training in Environmental Monitoring or inspection discipline will also be an added advantage.
- A minimum of five years working experience working on production processes and systems; Environmental Inspections and auditing ,Laboratory processes, cleaner production practice as an Inspector in a related field.
- Proven skills in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Environment Science will be added advantage or any other related position in an industrial production and environmentally related field.
- Working knowledge of environmental science and technology;
- Working knowledge of social assessment issues;
- Environmental auditing and inspection;
- Broad knowledge on guidelines and regulation of auditing;
- Working knowledge of the technical and environmental aspects of facility operations;
- Relevant requirements on environmental laws, regulations and related documents;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the environmental management systems and standards;
- Working knowledge of audit procedures, processes and techniques and;
- Working knowledge of industrial processes.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their hand written applications together with copies of certificates/ testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating three professional referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director,
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA),
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 22255, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 20th June, 2016
Note: The job title applied for should be printed at the top left hand side of the envelope. Applicants, who will not have heard from us by August 31, should consider their applications unsuccessful.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline