Job Title: Second Engineer
Organisation: Ministry of Works and Transport (MoWT)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Engineer
Salary: Shs. 2,100,000/= per month
The Ministry of Works and Transport (MoWT) exists to formulate policies, plans, set standards, build capacity carry out advocacy, regulate, monitor and evaluate the Works and Transport Sector. The Ministry also provides policy and strategic guidance to parastatal bodies under its supervision namely, Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA), Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and Uganda Railways Corporation (URC).In regard to Uganda Road Fund (URF), and MoWT provides political and operational oversight in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development.
About MV Kalangala:
The “MV Kalangala” is a modern multi-purpose marine vessel providing transport services between Kalangala District and the Mainland. The vessel meets International Standards and is fully classed and Insured accordingly.
Job Summary: The Second Engineer is responsible for maintaining safe and efficient operation and watch keeping of all technical and associated equipment on board the vessel
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of the maintenance of all the engine room and deck machinery.
- Ensure that all the machineries and safety systems are working safely, efficiently and within the provided parameters.
- In charge of planning and implementing preventive maintenance systems (PMS) and carrying out breakdown maintenance (BMS) where necessary. Maintaining and regularly updating engine room records, including the log books for fuel or lube oil etc.
- Keeping and updating regularly inventory of all the spares for engine room machineries like pumps, auxiliary engine, etc. and storing them in accordance to government stores procedures.
- Carrying out risk assessment, briefing and safety training of the entire engine crew, especially for the junior engineers and fresh crew.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of life saving appliances and firefighting appliances.
- Oversee all the emergency machinery and equipment under SOLAS.
- Keeping the engine room bilge clean of oil and oily water. All tank parameters are to be recorded for sludge and bilge system.
- Responsible for distributing and assigning duties to all the engine crew members and acts as supervisor to them.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must possess a minimum of Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education or equivalent
- Possess at least Class III Certificate of Competency from a recognised Maritime Institution.
- Recorded sea-time of not less than 10 years, five of which MUST have been at the level of Third Engineer of a vessel not less than 50 GRT.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- Physically able to work for long hours in all weather conditions.
- Previous experience with medium speed Caterpillar Marine Engines would be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send handwritten applications with a detailed and certified Curriculum Vitae (CV) including telephone contacts (office and mobile), e-address; Copies of Certificates and Testimonials; and two recent coloured passport size photographs to the undersigned;
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Works and Transport,
P.O. Box 7174 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 11th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline