Job Title: Medical Officer In-Charge
Organisation: AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) is an international not for profit NGO, with its Headquarters based in Los Angeles, California. Aids Health Care Foundation is registered in Uganda as Aids Health Care Foundation - Uganda Cares (AHF-UC) which is collaboration between the Uganda Ministry of Health and AIDS Healthcare Foundation (U.S.A) to provide free HIV/AIDS services; including antiretroviral therapy in resource constrained settings. AHF- Uganda Cares to date operates in 15 districts including; Masaka, Kampala, Rakai, Mpigi, Lyantonde, Soroti, Lwengo, Bukomansimbi, Kalungu, Kalangala, Masindi, Amuria, Butambala, Gomba, Serere, Hoima and Tororo supporting 32 clinic sites country wide.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Medical Officer In-Charge will review patients both within outpatients and in-patients setting (both new and follow-up) as required
- Keenly reviews history and examines patients to determine general physical condition
- Responsible for the timely updates of patient charts. New patients require complete history & physical examination with generation of a problem list and course of action.
- Requests or performs various tests, analyses, and diagnostic images to provide information on patient’s condition.
- Follow-up patients require generation of progress notes and additions, if applicable, to the problem list
- Regularly analyse reports and findings of tests and examination, and diagnoses condition.
- Completes and documents treatment drugs.
- Provides the client/s with adequate information related to the diagnosis, the condition being treated and course of action
- Guides patients concerning diet, hygiene, and methods for prevention of disease.
- Participates in health unit CMEs, staff and other relevant meetings
- Carries out medical procedures’ and minor surgeries including lumbar punctures, 1 & D of abscess, skin biopsies, bone marrow biopsies, treatment of condyloma via cryotherapy podophyllon application or tropical acid therapy
- Compiling and submitting periodic reports
- Other responsibilities include supervising staff nurses (SN) and clinical officers (C/0) in the care and management of patients, consigning and reviewing MP and C/O patient charts, supervising weekly medical meetings between site providers where a topic relevant to the management of HIV disease is presented to the staff and conducting weekly reading and interpretation of chest x-rays
- Perform any other duties that will be delegated by his/ her immediate supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Medical Degree (MB, ChB) or its equivalent from a recognized university/institution. S/he must be registered with the Medical and Dental practitioners’ council.
- A minimum of two years’ working experience in Medical Laboratory Technology services at a level of management within the healthcare setting related to HIV/AIDS care program.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the current HIV&AIDS and TB management practices, and protocols
- Previous experience in managing a team and building capacity in resource-limited settings.
- Proven ability to work in a public sector environment to accomplish goals and favourably influence decision making processes in a diplomatic and collaborative manner.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of AHF-Uganda Cares
- Exceptional command of the English language
- Communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and writing
- Follow instructions given in both verbal and written format
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should e-mail their applications (Cover Letter and CV Only) to: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning position applied for in the subject line. The email should not be larger than 2 MB - any larger email will not be considered.
Send our hard copy application including telephone contact details to the:
Human Resource Manager,
AHF - Uganda Cares,
Plot 548 Kira Road, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 1st July 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline