Job Title: Manager Production & Technical Services
Organisation: Uganda Development Corporation (UDC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: General Manager/CEO
Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) has been revived as an investment arm through which Government will invest in strategic Sectors of the economy in partnership with the private sector to trigger industrial and economic development of the country. The mandate of UDC is to promote and facilitate the industrial and economic development of Uganda. One of the current projects UDC is implementing is the Soroti Fruit factory. Construction of the factory is now nearing completion.
Job Summary: The Manager Production & Technical Services will develop, lead and manage efficient plant operations in close co-ordination with the production, quality and maintenance team, plan and execute an efficient inputs material stock management, ensure safe work practices, ensure optimum plant efficiency, be responsible for the overall product quality at minimum cost with minimum downtime.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute SOFTE’s production plans in relation with the primary fruit supplies, plant capacities, labour requirements marketing and distribution plans.
- Work closely with the Quality Control Officer to ensure production of quality products.
- In charge of designing and reviewing Plant layout
- Attending/chairing production meetings and forecasting production requirements
- Calculating production costs that include equipment, time and labour
- Deciding on the effective use of resources, e.g. raw materials, equipment and staff
- Producing maintenance schedules
- Testing that systems are working correctly
- Responsible for identifying, investigating and repairing system faults
- Supervising the work of production staff (both skilled & non skilled) including trainees and support staff
- Overseeing the installation, repair and re-assembly of equipment
- Demonstrating new and existing equipment to systems engineers, support staff and production staff
- Discussing, evaluating, managing and rectifying systems failures
- Investigating environmental hazards and take charge of developing the factory’s overall HACCP plan (conducting safety tests and removing potential hazards)
- In charge of reviewing results and meeting with managers to discuss methods of improving the productivity of existing systems
- Investigating ways in which the latest technology could improve the productivity rate of the manufacturing systems
- Offer support in the sourcing new suppliers of industrial equipment
- Manage the testing, monitoring and evaluating new mechanical equipment
- Establishing and implementing a quality culture within the manufacturing environment
- Identifying and analysing capacity enhancement needs of the production staff
- Keep up to date with the latest technological developments and trends in engineering and food processing
- Responsible for managing budgets of the production department
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor of Science in Food Science and technology, mechanical engineering and postgraduate processing or production related qualification
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in a busy beverage or FMCG manufacturing environment with at least five years at senior level.
- Working knowledge of food quality and safety (HACCP concept principles)
- Strong Engineering background as a supervisor in manufacturing setting is an added advantage
- Highly motivated and ability to perform and deliver under a stressful and target oriented environment.
- The applicant should be result-oriented
- Excellent communication skills
- Conducting safety tests and removing potential hazards
- Excellent research and analytical skills
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic transcripts and certificates, telephone contact, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to:
The Human Resource & Administration Manager
Uganda Development Corporation
Floor 5, Soliz House
Plot 23 Lumumba Avenue
P. O. Box 7042 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 8th July 2016
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline