Job Title: Legal Officer
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Legal Manager
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to - carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets - Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; Implement Flagship Hydropower Plant Projects of Karuma (600MW) and Isimba (183MW; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will provide legal advisory services to the Company and all its stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare comprehensive legal opinions for the, Legal Manager and Company Secretary.
- Support the Legal Manager and Company Secretary as requested.
- Provide legal advice to Contacts and Evaluation Committees and other stakeholders on all legal issues.
- Carry out research and advise the Legal Advisory Services Manager on the application of information obtained.
- Provide legal advice on the legal issues pertaining to compliance with the provisions of the Laws affecting the company’s business.
- Prepare statutory instruments required.
- Attend to queries/complaints from Business Units and stakeholders.
- Attend various management committee meetings as legal advisor, as assigned by the Legal Manager.
- Keenly review and advise on appropriate special conditions of contract contained in standard bid documents.
- Carry out due legal diligence on all contracting parties and on intended transactions by the company
- Draft contracts and Agreements on behalf of the company catering for the User department interests and safeguarding the company’s interests.
- Negotiate with contractors to ensure that all issues pertaining to the performance of and management of the contracts are streamlined before the execution of the contracts.
- Peruse contracts and agreements drafted externally and advise on the terms and their effect on the company.
- Conduct legal due diligence on current and proposed investments.
- Prepare instruments for registration of the company’s interests with the appropriate authorities and registering them.
- Land acquisition and monitor running leases, property rates and ground rents and initiate renewal of leases.
- Provide secretarial services to management committees.
Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution:
- Attend Court to prosecute or defend the Company in civil cases filed by or against the Company.
- Handle Alternative Dispute Resolutions like mediation, arbitration and/or conciliation in all disputes the company is involved.
- Prepare Legal opinions on the merits/demerits/strategy of Court cases and respond to statutory notices.
- Draft Court pleadings relevant to the cases and liaise with Legal Clerk to ensure that they are filed.
- Prepare bi monthly reports on the status of civil cases filed in Court.
- Work closely with other departments and obtain evidence for prosecuting or defending claims.
- Maintain case files in proper order.
- Liaise with external Counsel on Court cases assigned to them.
- Carry out research on matters in court.
- Assess and advice on the relevance and impact of existing legislation on the Company’s business with focus on the law relating to Companies Electricity, Environment, procurement and water.
- Conduct legal and regulatory compliance audits and report the same to the Legal Manager for appropriate action.
- Maintain and regularly update a database of Acts, conventions, statutory instruments, bye laws, judgements and other related documents with a direct or indirect impact on the Company.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and bi annual compliance reports for the approval Legal Manager and Company Secretary
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold an Honours degree in Law from a recognized University
- Possession of a Post graduate diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre
- Serve as an enrolled advocate
- Hold a valid practicing certificate
- At least three (3) years of post-enrolment experience in legal practice in a busy law firm or reputable organization.
- Previous experience of involvement in construction and other projects transactions will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Good people management skills
- Good negotiation, mediation, conciliation and arbitration skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Contract drafting skills
- Trial advocacy skills
- Conveyance skills
- Computer literacy skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to communicate with frankness and candor and handle difficult or contentious issues
- Ability to take and maintain an unwavering stand on issues.
- The Job holder must have a creative mind and possess an ability of problem solving and willing to learn and to take on more challenging roles and goals and a team player.
- Excellent command of the English language
- Excellent diplomatic and persuasive skills.
- Excellent comprehension and grammatical skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses to:
Chief Executive Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
Victoria Office Park,
Plot 6-9 Okot Close Bukoto, Old Kiira Road,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 8th July 2016 by 5.00 p.m.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline