Job Title: HR Coordinator
Organisation: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Action Against Hunger (ACF) is an International Humanitarian NGO which has been in existence for over thirty years. ACF has been implementing Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programs in the Lango, Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja regions of Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The HR Coordinator will be responsible for the design and follow up of the HR Country Strategy and overall mission strategy. The HR Coordinator will provide overall leadership in the mission for all matters related to Human Resources. The incumbent works under direct supervision of the Country Director (CD).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensure the mission implement comprehensive HR policies and procedures and remains compliant with local labour laws:
- Work in close collaboration with the Mission Coordination Team, creates an annual HR strategy for the mission.
- Keenly reviews the mission Internal Regulations, ensuring that it is compliant with the ACF policy, local labor and tax laws.
- Regularly monitors mission activity to ensure teams remain compliant with HR policies and procedures.
- Offer support to the Country Director and other supervisors whenever staff management issues require informal or formal disciplinary action, ensuring each incident is appropriately documented.
2. Ensure HR Administration is accurately maintained as per ACF and local government regulations: Personnel files, employment contracts and organograms
- Ensure complete and up-to-date personnel files are maintained for all locally and hired staff as well as for international staff
- Prepare and monitor the details of all local labour contracts. Ensure all staff have valid employment contracts and follows up closely with HQ the international staff documents.
- Works closely with the local authorities on all HR matters concerning local and international staff.
3. Oversees the Payroll and Benefits Administration for the mission:
- Ensure that the following core ACF HR tools are applied to the mission salary structure: ACF Function Scale, ACF Seniority rules, and ACF benchmarking reviews
- Works with the Senior HRO and Finance Co to periodically review the salary scale to ensure it remains competitive with other local organizations and responds to increases/decreases in the local cost of living
- Works in liaison with the Finance Coordinator in the preparation and payment of the national staff payroll including salaries, special allowances, and social security contributions.
- Collaborates with Finance Coordinator for follow up of expatriate costs at mission level
4. Supports the mission’s recruitment of national and international staff
- Regularly reviews all job descriptions at the start of the recruitment process to ensure that they are standardized across the mission. Suggests changes to the supervising manager so that they reflect the current and upcoming program needs and activities, identifying required qualifications as well as both essential and preferred selection criteria
- Implements standard and best practice recruitment procedures for all locally hired staff.
- Wherever possible, assists all program managers and coordinators with interviewing and selecting new staff (especially for new positions and key line management positions).
- Ensures updated job descriptions for all international staff positions are sent to the Head of Programs, Country Director & Sr. HR Officer at least 2 months before each end of contract date, or as soon as possible after international staff’s departure is known.
5. Identifies and monitors staff training, development and learning needs
- Oversees the staff review process using performance appraisals and regular meetings with line managers.
- Trains and assists line managers to prepare and deliver Performance Appraisals on time
- Works with individual line managers to ensure that the training and development needs of all national staff are clearly identified and possible options discussed and implemented.
6. Communicates HR matters both internally (within the mission) and externally (to New York HQ and local authorities) and others
- Ensures regular meetings are held with the staff representatives.
- Prepares and submits a monthly HR report to the CD & Senior HRO.
- Meets at least twice a month (either by Skype or phone) with the Senior HRO.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Action Against Hunger (ACF) HR Coordinator job placement should hold a Master’s degree in Human Resources or in Social Sciences, International Relations, Psychology or any related field.
- At least three to five years’ experience as an HR professional, with a sound knowledge of recruitment, payroll & benefits management, training & development, and team management.
- Humanitarian field experience, preferably as a member of a country management team
- Previous exposure and experience communicating in different cultural work environments & with a wide diversity of cultures
- Diplomatic, able to mediate conflict in stressful conditions
- Computer literacy i.e. working knowledge of MS Office (high proficiency in Excel); comfortable working with computers with minimal IT support.
- Ability to cooperate with subordinates, colleagues and supervisory staff at all levels
- Ability to work in a stressful environment, taking initiative & prioritizing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable applying HR policies consistently & tactfully
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills are a must. Ability to explain complex concepts in straight-forward language
- Ability to maintain confidentiality while managing difficult HR cases
- Genuine interest in & commitment to the humanitarian principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently & as a member of a team.
- Fluent written & spoken English.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications which should include ONLY a cover letter, CV (not more than 4 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contract. For email applications please note that attached documents should not be larger than 2MBs. All documents should be zipped in one folder. Any email larger than 2MBS will not be considered. Please send your email application to: email@example.com mentioning HR Coordinator in the subject line.
Deadline: 22nd June 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline