Job Title: Fund Development and Communications Manager
Organisation: SOS Children’s Villages
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: National Director
SOS Children’s Villages Uganda is an indigenous non-government, social development organisation affiliated to SOS Children’s Villages International, a worldwide child care organisation, currently running Children’s Villages and other projects in 135 countries around the world. SOS has been working in Uganda since 1991, and runs Children’s Villages and other projects at Kakiri, Entebbe (Abaita Ababiri), Gulu and in Fort Portal - Kabarole district.
Job Summary: The Fund Development and Communications Manager will be tasked to pursue opportunities countrywide to cover the National Associations’ running costs and investments in order to increase the financial self-sufficiency of the National Association by fundraising activities of all kind. The incumbent will develop fundraising, public relations plans and strategies to market and promote the organisation. The Fund Development Manager is responsible for fulfilling the business plan of the National Association. S/he is also responsible for all communications and PR matters, including dealing with the publics, the media and sponsors. The incumbent will be responsible for preparing updates, speeches and reports as directed by the National Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop, implement and evaluate the fundraising Strategy for the National Association:
· Sets the strategic direction of the fundraising role in the organisation.
· In charge of preparing a thorough fundraising plan indicating concrete actions and targets to be achieved on an annual basis.
· Offers expert advice to the National Director on opportunities for increasing the public profile of SOS CV Uganda potential funding and sponsorship opportunities from charitable foundations, trusts, the community, business, corporate, government sectors as well as individuals.
· Responsible for the national fundraising activities of SOS CV Uganda. Coordinates the fundraising activities of the villages and other facilities.
· Evaluate and review the fundraising strategy at least every quarter, ensuring that set targets are met to a greater extent.
2. Secures financial and in-kind support from external bodies and individuals:
· Researches potential donors companies and organisations which can be approached for funding to SOS programmes. Establishes contact with the targeted organisations, also gaining contact information of the responsible persons.
· The incumbent prepares fundraising proposals and financial projections on a quarterly basis, highlighting the needs and funds required.
· Oversees the development of proposals to the relevant individuals, companies and organisations, ensuring adequate follow up of placed proposals.
· Evaluates activities against key performance indicators and uses the information gained to improve and raise net income.
· Documents, and keeps records, databases, results and experiences of all interactions and dealings with funding organisations and companies to ensure continuity and inform future decisions and actions.
· Plans fundraising activities for Children’s Villages and projects in conjunction with project managers.
· Develops and implements publicity / fundraising presentations to willing corporate companies, organisations and individuals.
· Works closely with external individuals or companies assisting SOS in raising funds or other support.
2. Promotes Public Relations:
· Works in liaison with the project managers and other key staff to support any public relations activities which concern the work of SOS Children’s Villages Uganda.
· Prepares communication to the external publics, ensuring that all messages to the media or any other body reflect the image required by the organisation, and gains the National Director’s approval.
· Coordinates any special fundraising or public relations events and looks out for future opportunities in the same line. Attends any external functions which would be of benefit to the activities of the organisation.
· Ensures that the Children’s Villages and other projects regularly submit articles to the National Office for inclusion in any newsletters also liaising with the Regional Office (Nairobi) through the regional editor on such matters.
· Works in close consultation with the National Director, handles all issues of publicity or queries from the public.
· Manages the development of publicity materials and ensures that adequate stocks of marketing support materials are available.
· Develops and maintains an archive of National Association activities and special events such as photographs, PR- FR materials, etc.
· Coordinates special events of the National Association.
3. Brand Development and Brand Orientation:
· Actively steer the process of brand strengthening, ensuring that the National Association gets a strategic focus with clear and measurable goals for brand development in line with the continental strategic brand plan.
· Carries our brand orientation sessions, trainings and workshops for new and continuing staff, ensuring that the brand concept is explained and that the contents are clear to all staff teams.
· Addresses brand relates issues from various staff teams.
· Actively participates in the international flow of information (experience exchange), collecting good practices and sharing them with the brand team
· In consultation with the National Director, ensures that adequate resources are planned and priorities set for the required brand development activities.
· Work to ensure that the promotion of the brand is incorporated in the whole National Association planning structure, working to achieve the full benefits of a strong brand
· Takes charge of printing for all branded materials which is to be done centrally by the National Office, following submission of requests by various projects and subsequent express approval by the National Director.
4. Administrative and Management Roles:
· Keeps the National Director and Board of Trustees informed of all Public Relations/Fundraising events planned, and ensures the necessary approval of activities and related budgets
· Works closely with the Children’s Village Administrators & finance departments to ensure that funds and in-kind donations received are recorded and dealt with as required by policy guidelines.
· Keeps records and databases of all association with funding organisations and companies and submits timely reports and plans as required.
· Carries out all duties in accordance with the financial and administrative policies of SOS Children’s Villages Uganda.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Mass communication, public relations and Business Administration majoring in marketing or related field from reputable institution
· Possession of professional certification in a similar field and additional trainings in resource mobilization, fund raising, proposal development, public relations management will be an added advantage
· A minimum of four to five years of relevant working experience in leading resource mobilization and fund raising initiatives in a reputable organisation/setting.
· Additional experience in NGO community funded programmes including raising funds locally, donations in kind will be of great advantage.
· Good working knowledge and sound understanding of current funding environments including corporate, media management is desirable.
· Ability to work well in a team comprised of people with diverse cultural and disciplinary backgrounds. S/he should have strong leadership and good communication skills.
· The ideal candidate must be self-motivated, able to initiate new ideas and willing to travel across our project locations from time to time
· Age: Between 30 – 40 years
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to send their application letters enclosing a detailed Curriculum Vitae, current salary information, copies of academic transcripts and certificates, including telephone contact and details of at least three references to:
The Human Resource Coordinator,
SOS Children’s Villages Uganda,
25 km on Kampala-Entebbe Rd, Abaita Ababiri,
P.O. Box 27510,
Or send via E-mail to: email@example.com
OR Apply online at the link below.
NB: The application should clearly be indicating the position title in the subject line. Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and send all documents in one file attachment.
Deadline: Friday, 25th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline