Job Title: Country Director
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development. SNV has been present in Uganda since 1989 and currently supports interventions in 108 districts across the country. We work with over 100 local partners, 80% of which are based in the districts where we operate. Our work focuses on the Agriculture, Energy and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene sectors. In 2014, we contributed to improved income, food security, employment and use of basic services for 1.1 million people in Uganda. Of our full-time employed staff, 90% are Ugandan nationals.
Job Summary: The Country Director will be responsible for leading and driving the country programme. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on securing adequate funding to sustain operations, upscale and strategically strengthen the country programme, while ensuring high quality delivery. It will require you to be well informed about and engage with national and international development priorities and steer the sectors in response to these priorities. You will forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors, and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. You will be the face of SNV in the country and ensure a positive image and visibility. The incumbent will lead, coach and support the team to perform at their best to meet and exceed client, donor and SNV corporate expectations. In addition, you will be a key member of our global senior management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic leadership of the program (including multi-country efforts and potentially managing projects in other countries) within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
- In charge of business development to grow the country program, ensure financial sustainability of SNV in Uganda and ensure the high quality project design.
- Management and quality assurance of project implementation ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and following SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
- Leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork;
- Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
- Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
- In addition, the Country Director will foster innovation of SNV products and services: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; ensure collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should have prior experience as Country Director or equivalent.
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- A minimum of eight years of relevant experience at strategic level;
- Demonstrated ability in managing a diverse portfolio, over fifty staff, and wide ranging financial, operational and administrative issues.
- Proven ability in business development, including demonstrable experience in solution design, capture planning, budget development, and establishment of work plans and monitoring plans.
- Knowledge and understanding of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three core sectors;
- The incumbent should be a talented, entrepreneurial, result oriented and proven professional who will lead the Uganda country team in realising high quality programs in SNV’s sectors.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of key financiers and actors in SNV’s 3 core sectors;
- Strong business and people management capabilities with a focus on results and an entrepreneurial flair;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
- Strong in implementation oversight and proven track record in project management;
- Ability to relate with and manage relationship with government at federal and local levels;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
- Culturally aware, tactful and open minded;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation to their online recruitment database by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 13th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline