Job Title: Technical Advisor - MDR
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Project Name: USAID TRACK TB Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party- Technical Programs
Job ID: 13-9040
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is an international non-profit health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50 countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
About USAID TRACK TB Project:
The TRACK TB Project is a USAID -funded program in Uganda that provides technical assistance to the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program (NTLP).The goal of TRACK TB project is to increase Tuberculosis (TB) Case Detection Rate (CDR) and Treatment Success Rate (TSR) in Kampala and USAID supported districts in TB/HIV, to meet national targets for reducing the burden of TB; MDR-TB and TB/HIV co infection. To strengthen the capacity of the NTLP, the project will implement innovative strategies to improve TB control in Kampala and existing USAID supported districts to reduce the TB related morbidity and mortality.
Job Summary: The Technical Advisor - MDR will be responsible for providing targeted technical assistance to all clinical TB, and MDR-TB activities for the project. The Technical Advisor - MDR (a senior clinician) will also be responsible for providing technical support to health facilities offering TB and MDR-TB care services. The incumbent will work closely with Programme Manager NTLP, the MDR Coordinator and members of multidisciplinary teams to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of interventions implemented for control of MDR in the country. In addition, the jobholder will also collaborate with the Data Manager/Monitoring & Evaluation Officer to regularly monitor the progress made towards the targets for programmatic management of drug resistant TB.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer technical support, including capacity building, to NTLP staff and existing regional USAID IPs in improving TB and TB/HIV case detection, TB/HIV collaboration, care and support, MDR/XDR-TB programs working closely with the NTLP Manager and the TRACK TB COP
- The incumbent will coordinate capacity building activities for primary care providers at MDR-TB treatment facilities for prevention of MDR-TB, increase Gene Xpert implementation, MDR-TB case detection and enrollment, treatment response monitoring and contacts management.
- Oversee the development and implementation of annual and quarterly project MDR-TB work plan.
- Take charge of the preparation of quarterly and annual project PMDT Progress reports
- The incumbent will also coordinate and monitor the implementation of the minimum package of MDR-TB interventions across MDR-TB treatment centres including active case finding, contacts management, TB/HIV, TB Infection control, patient support,TB logistics management, treatment response monitoring and quarterly programme reviews through MDR-TB cohort review
- Actively participate in workshops, seminars, and technical working groups to identify policy, technical and programmatic gaps in MDR-TB diagnosis and treatment and Infection Control; update partners and stakeholders on TB-MDR TB project activities.
- Provide technical support in developing systems, tools, job aids, IEC materials as required for improving diagnosis and treatment of TB/MDR-TB, infection prevention, monitoring and supervision.
- Carry out operations research activities within the field of MDR-TB management.
- Organize, lead and facilitate project-related TB and MDR-TB meetings, including the generating agendas and preparation of materials and meeting minutes
- Actively facilitate the application of CQI approaches to improve MDR-TB care, peer learning sessions and MDR-TB cohort review activities
- Keenly monitor implementation of planned activities through periodic consultations, monthly progress review meetings, reports review, and field trips. Provide written feedback for improving performance.
- Regularly monitor project deliverables and timeliness, notify the DCOP and the entire TRACK TB team when issues arise so that timely corrective actions are taken.
- The incumbent will adopt and implement the NTLP existing tools and tracking system for MDR cases and contacts and the mechanism to improve Programmatic Management of MDR-TB (PMDT) data collection, analysis and use.
- Support the DCOP and NTLP Manager in developing quarterly and semi-annual reports, and tracking budgets and expenditures.
- Mentorship and supervision of project TB technical officers
- Represent MSH on regional and national TB, TB/HIV and MDR/XDR-TB activities and at selected international meetings.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold an MBCHB degree with masters training in internal medicine (MMED) or Public (MPH) or both.
- At least six years of hands-on and practical experience working in a TB related field is essential
- Recognized expertise in TB, MDR-TB programming, at country level is essential.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of current key TB, TB/HIV control and MDR-TB issues at national and global level.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships, work well as part of a team, and to incorporate views of other disciplines into his or her work.
- Demonstrated organizational and supervisory skills and abilities; sound judgment, and high ethical standards; flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in onsite training, mentorship and QI coaching approaches
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written and fluency in English.
- Excellent computer skills, Microsoft word, excel power point and Microsoft access.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline