Job Title: Senior Legal Officer
Organisation: National Drug Authority (NDA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The National Drug Authority (NDA) is an autonomous body which was established by the National Drug Policy and Authority Act Cap 206, Laws of Uganda (2000 Edition) to regulate Human and Veterinary Medicines and other healthcare products. NDA’s mandate is to ensure quality, safety and efficacy of human and veterinary medicines and other healthcare products through the regulation and control of their production, importation, distribution and use.
Job Summary: The Senior Legal Officer will provide legal advisory services to the staff in respect to compliance with the National Drug Policy and Authority Act and other laws of Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess NDAs litigation risks and implement an effective litigation risk management strategy.
- In charge of managing the course of litigation to minimize legal costs and organisational exposure to litigation.
- Resolving contractual disputes
- Coordinate with the appropriate agencies to ensure effective implementation of the Act.
- The incumbent will represent NDA in Courts of Law.
- Provide leadership to the supervised staff, manage their performance, identify their training and development needs, and develop their capacity to ensure they are competent to deliver effective services and results.
- Supervise and monitor the performance of outsourced law firms handling cases on behalf of NDA.
- Prepare departmental budgets, work plans and reports
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The National Drug Authority (NDA) Senior Legal Officer should hold an honor's Bachelor's Degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized University. Possession of a Master’s degree in Law (LLM) is desired
- Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from Law Development Centre.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a legal practice with three years in a senior position
- Significant exposure and experience in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters.
- Enrolled advocate of the High Court and authorized to practice law in the country
- Membership to relevant professional bodies
- High integrity and professionalism
- Demonstrable experience setting performance targets, monitoring and appraising employee performance
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to make independent decisions.
- Additional training in management is an added advantage
- Previous experience dealing with regulatory matters
- Working knowledge of the laws governing regional and international drug regulatory practices is an added advantage
- Knowledge of Laws governing NDA.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their handwritten or or electronically application letters with a detailed CV and copies of academic certificates and transcripts, contact addresses and day time telephone numbers of three (3) work related referees; should be submitted to:
The Executive Director,
National Drug Authority,
Plot 46-48 Lumumba Avenue,
P O Box 23096,
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 31st May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline