Job Title: Senior Community Development Officer - WASH
Duty Station: Uganda
Whave is a Ugandan social enterprise working with communities, government, and civil society organisations to find and demonstrate solutions to poverty and environmental issues. Our team includes both local and international experts with professional capabilities ranging from engineering to social science.
About Whave Project:
Whave is implementing a Safe Water Security Programme in Northern Karamoja. The programme develops a self-sustaining rural water service through a localized results-based financing and public-private partnership. Our approach includes rehabilitation of water sources, regular monitoring through a comprehensive set of indicators, operation and maintenance services for reliability assurance and hygiene and sanitation promotion. The aim is to improve health and productivity of local communities through a reliable supply of clean water and improved hygiene.
Job Summary: The Senior Community Development Officer will offer support in the implementation of Whave’s project in Northern Karamoja to improve access to safe water in rural areas. The role will involve a lot of interaction with local communities so good Ngakaramojong is highly preferable, while Ateso is also acceptable. The main tasks of the Senior Community Development Officer will be to manage the team of Community Development Officers in the field to achieve the organisations targets and objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide management and guidance to the team of Community Development Officers
- The incumbent will provide guidance on community level strategy and procedures
- Work closely with local officials from the district and sub-counties
- In charge of establishing / reactivating water and sanitation committees including providing relevant training
- Making agreements to provide preventive maintenance services for water sources
- Overseeing technical work by local technicians
- In charge of improving community sanitation and hygiene, particularly in the safe water chain
- Develop and implement secure saving options for by-law water user fees
- The Senior Community Development Officer is also expected to provide administrative support in addition to the above duties.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicants must hold a Degree level qualification in a relevant field
- A minimum of five years’ experience and understanding in community development preferably in WASH
- Adequate communication and interpersonal skills
- High level communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet targets and deadlines
- Good Ngakaramojong preferably, or Ateso
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in Excel and Word
- Ability to ride a motorbike
- Ability to live in Kaabong
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and covering letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please describe why this post interests you and why you think you can achieve good results in your covering letter.
Deadline: 31st May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline