Job Title: Media Relations Junior Expert
Organization: Nile Basin Initiative (NBI)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Communications Specialist
The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is an inter-governmental organization initiated and led by the Nile riparian countries to promote joint development, protection and management of the common Nile Basin water resources. NBI has a Shared Vision, namely: ‘to promote sustainable socioeconomic development through the equitable utilization of', and benefit from, the common Nile Basin water resources.’ The NBI provides a unique forum for the countries of the Nile Basin to move toward a cooperative process to realize tangible benefits in the basin and build a solid foundation of trust and confidence.
Job Summary: The Media Relations Junior Expert will have the major responsibility of using media and social media, to increase awareness of the Nile Cooperation, Nile Basin and as well as engagement with NBI. The incumbent will be a core member of the Secretariat’s communication team. Working under the supervision of the Regional Communications Specialist, he/she will be responsible for the following:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Media Relations:
- Actively engage and build effective relations with the media, with the over-arching message to media professionals to help create a new norm that brings Nile Cooperation to the fore of communication agenda setting.
- Responsible for media advocacy strategies, including liaising with media to communicate key messages to defined target audiences
- Work closely with staff of Water Resources Management Department at the Secretariat for media relevant content/opportunities.
- Support NBI National Desk Officers and Communication Officers of Ministries in charge of Water Affairs in engaging national media on issues related to Nile cooperation and NBI
- Coordinate responses to and manage requests from media experts and speakers on a wide variety of subjects/issues on NBI and the Nile Basin.
- Identify relevant Media/Communications opportunities to promote the work of NBI
- Organize press conferences, press briefings and media coverage.
- Organise media training workshops and journalists’ visits to investment project sites and Nile Basin environmental assets.
- Enhance regular media monitoring and content analysis – daily tracking of media coverage (such as use of press releases, coverage of Nile issues in the media, compilation of frequent factual errors, etc)
- Identify and develop a list of key media outlets in each NBI Member State, in terms of listenership, viewership, readership, circulation and credibility.
- Develop an inventory of media (editors and key senior reporters), opinion writers and communications/public relations professionals that can be utilized by NBI, pursue proactive outreach to maintain relationships and facilitate contact with them when necessary.
- Organise media engagement activities at national level including: Press briefings; Press conferences; ‘Meet the Press’ panel discussions; Editors breakfast; Talk shows; Courtesy calls to media houses.
2. Social Media:
- The incumbent will develop a social media strategy to increase readership and viewership of audiences across NBI’s social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube , Flicker and action plan to guide its implementation.
- Develop content for and provide regular updates for the different social media accounts
- Work closely with Communication Specialist and other staff, respond to comments and inquiries for additional information on the social media platforms
- Facilitate the internet based discussion board
- Connect and initiate strategic alliances with regional and national NBI stakeholders
- Update NBI guidelines for use of social media when need arises
- Provide support to NBI staff in the use of social media
- Monitor on-line traffic to assess and analyse NBI social media platforms and document good practices (on a quarterly basis)
- Explore new uses of communications technologies and software including new social media tools that might of interest to NBI and recommend those media tools for use by NBI; when approved, expand the communication media with these new additions
- As required, provide on-site communication coverage to NBI events with near real-time posting of news, press releases, blogs, social media entries, etc.
- Support Organisation and implementation of social media campaigns to raise traffic and awareness (e.g. competitions on issues/topics relevant to NBI’s work
- Improve work flow and process related to social media, website management and posting
- Maintain photo and video repository for efficient reference
- Render support in monitoring and analysing website traffic and social media engagement by using analytics tools.
- Generate and source content for the NBI website
- Update content for the NBI website
- Edit copy received from content contributors
- Liaise with specialists within NBI in creating new content
- Provide support in the production and dissemination of targeted information, communication and visibility products.
4. Communication Products: Offer technical support in the production and dissemination of targeted information, communication and visibility products.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Mass Communications, Journalism or any related field
- Specialized training in building effective media relations and the use of social media will be an added advantage.
- A minimum five years of experience in media relations; using social media as a tool for development communication and/or mass mobilization; developing content for the website
- Ability to distil clear messages from technical documents and excellent analytical skills
- Professional experience in development communication; including writing for specific audiences and selection of the most effective communications mediums
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good interviewing skills, experience in video recording and editing
- Demonstrated experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including senior government officials, donors, journalists, editors, policy-makers, consultants and academics
- Demonstrated ability to sell stories to journalists
- Ability to regularly monitor the various media outlets
- Ability to work in a multi-task and multi-deadline environment
- Ability to maintain concentration as work is subject to frequent interruptions
- Fluency in English, knowledge of French is an asset
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan nationals are encouraged to send a Curriculum Vitae and application letter with links to organisational online platforms/website managed to the contact below;
The Executive Director,
Nile Basin Initiative Secretariat,
Plot 12 Mpigi Road,
P.O. Box 192 Entebbe, Uganda.
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 10th May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline