Job Title: Legal Manager
Organisation: Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Board Secretary / Director Corporate Services
Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) was established by statutory mandate in 1991. UCDA’s Vision is to have “A sustainable coffee industry with high stakeholder value for social economic transformation.” UCDA’s mission is “To facilitate increase in quality coffee production, productivity, and consumption.”
Job Summary: The Legal Manager will provide professional legal advice to the board and management on all aspects of national laws and regulations not withstanding monitoring the internal legal environment of the Authority.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic advice in the development of strategies, policies and systems for successful management of pertinent legal issues within the parameters of UCDA’s operational framework
- Prepare legal opinions for the attention of the Board Secretary and provide advice on all legal matters.
- The incumbent will attend negotiation sessions, grievance hearings, administrative hearings, arbitration or appeals where required.
- Provide representation at various courts and tribunals in matters such as grievance hearings, administrative hearings, mediations, arbitration or appeals.
- Manage the provision of legal services by contracted external providers to ensure effective and efficient service delivery.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the effectiveness of legal compliance frame works, lead and coordinate strategic contractual, legal and legislative review processes within the Authority.
- The incumbent will support the Managing Director, Board and Heads of Directorates / Departments in their business dealings with both internal and external parties through providing strategic advice on effective negotiation and communication processes, legal rights and obligations.
- Ensure that the UCDA’s rights and responsibilities under contracts and other legal processes are met.
- Facilitate research into new emerging legal issues pertaining to the coffee industry and bring them to Management’s attention for ratification or decision making.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Management from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Legal Manager career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law and a post graduate Diploma in Legal Practice,
- Enrolled as an advocate entitled to practice Law in Uganda,
- Hold a valid practicing certificate,
- At least five years’ work experience, with three years at a management or supervisory level in a reputable organization or government institution,
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills;
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with the Government of Uganda, the Judicial system and negotiating parties;
- Broad working knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration,
- Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level Management,
- Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters,
- Excellent planning and organization skills.
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to send an application letter, detailed curriculum vitae with at least three (3) traceable referees and certified copies of academic certificates addressed to:
The Board Secretary / Director Corporate Services,
Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA),
Coffee House, Plot 35, Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 7267, Kampala. Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: The interested applicants must also submit with their applications verifiable evidence supporting previous relevant appointments such as appointment letters and employment contracts.
Deadline: 23rd May 2016 by 17.00 Hours
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline