Job Title: Accounts Assistant
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Accountant
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University - John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Job Summary: The Accounts Assistant will carry out a variety of accounting activities related to the payment and receipt of money, computation, classification, recording, and reconciling transactions in the financial system; checking transactions to locate and resolve discrepancies and applying working knowledge of the applicable laws and regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Records, classifies, and summarizes accounting transactions
- The incumbent compiles various financial documents and verifies their accuracy
- Effects payments in accordance with established procedures of the organization
- The incumbent selects correct accounts; verifies and balances debit and credit entries, reconciles accounts and assists in the compilation of reports
- Applies a working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations; verifies documents for completeness and compliance with government and private agencies
- The incumbent maintains records through filing, retrieval, retention, storage, compilation, coding, updating
- Quickly responds to inquiries, checks accounting transactions to locate and resolve discrepancies.
- Periodic travel to support field offices
- Perform any other assignments as may be allocated by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Business Administration - Accounting option/ Bachelor of Accounting and Finance
- At least two years of post-qualification experience with a reputable organization preferably in an NGO setting
- Professional accounting qualification i.e. CPA or ACCA partial qualification
- Working knowledge of computerized accounting
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability for team work
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their application cover letters with a detailed CV, naming at least two professional referees to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 18th May, 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline