Job Title: Secretary
Organisation: Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development (MGLSD)
Project Name: Uganda Women Entrepreneurship Programme (UWEP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Administrative Officer
The Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development (MGLSD) is implementing the Uganda Women Entrepreneurship Programme (UWEP), an initiative of the Government of Uganda that is aimed at improving access to financial services by women entrepreneurs and equipping them with skills for enterprise growth, value addition and marketing of their products and services. The Programme will be implemented under three components namely; Capacity and Skills Development, Women Enterprise Fund for projects and Institutional Support.
Job Summary: The Secretary will provide secretarial services, front desk and office managerial services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Front Desk Management:
- Cordially answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Greet visitors and callers, handle their inquiries, and direct them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
2. Event Management:
- The jobholder will arrange conferences, meetings, and travel reservations for office personnel.
- Compose, type, and distribute meeting notes, routine correspondence, and reports.
- Maintain scheduling and event calendars. Schedule and confirm appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors.
- Coordinate conferences and meetings.
3. Manage Correspondence:
- The jobholder will locate and attach appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring replies.
- Open, read, route, and distribute incoming mail and other material, and prepare answers to routine letters Mail newsletters, promotional material, and other information.
- Make copies of correspondence and other printed material.
4. Filing system and management:
- Set-up and maintain paper and electronic filing systems for records, correspondence, and other material.
- Operate electronic mail systems and coordinate the flow of information both internally and with other organizations.
- Collect and disburse funds from cash accounts, and keep records of collections and disbursements.
- Carry out searches to find needed information, using such sources as the Internet.
5. Typing and Programme Editing:
- Type, edit and print documentation related to the Programme.
- Keenly review work done by others to check for correct spelling and grammar, ensure that company format policies are followed, and recommend revisions.
6. Office equipment and supplies:
- Operate office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, and phone systems, and use computers for spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and other applications.
- Order and dispense supplies.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Secretary job opportunity should preferably be a Ugandan who holds a Bachelor’s Degree in secretarial studies, information and office management from a recognized institution
- At least three years’ experience from a reputable organization.
- Computer literacy i.e. proficient in the latest MS Office packages including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Power-point.
- Competencies: Effective Communication, Ethics and Integrity, Public Relations and Customer Care, Result orientation, Time Management, Confidentiality, Information and Communications Technology, Records and Information Management and Time Management
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send hand deliver their applications to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Gender, Labour & Social Developments,
Plot 2, Simbamanyo House, George Street,
P.O. Box 7136, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 27th May 2016 by 3:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline