Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Infrastructure Officer
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Infrastructure Assistant will mainly be responsible for strategic intervention and supervision of the labour intensive infrastructure activities in the areas assigned.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordination and Representation:
- The incumbent will report to the Infrastructure Officer while executing out programmed activities in all the sub counties assigned.
- Build, strengthen and maintain linkages representing the organization within its internal guidelines/standards and those of donor partners.
- Attend and represent the interests of DRC in all infrastructure related meetings with the Lower Local Governments and Coordination Function.
- Represent DRC to the Local Authorities and other stakeholders in the district of operation as assigned.
2. Project Implementation:
- Mobilize and sensitize communities within the project operation areas assigned to you.
- Select and assess infrastructure works projects from parish development plans.
- Actively participate in the training of Project Management Committees and local authorities
- Significantly contribute to concept and proposal development in the infrastructure thematic environment.
- Contribute to grants management of all infrastructure projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
- Take lead in designing of work plans for sector programs and activities.
- Actively participate in the PDPs re-validation exercise within the district of operation.
- Participate/ guide the process of group formation / selection for the implementation of the infrastructure projects.
- Support the infrastructure project selection exercise.
- Guide the selection of PMCs and organise their training.
- Ensure that project agreement forms (MoU) are fully approved and authorised before any group engages in infrastructure projects work.
- Issue necessary tools and materials to the beneficiaries of the approved infrastructure projects.
- Oversee the implementation of infrastructure projects.
- Ensure that proper groups’ attendance registers are accurately logged, updated and displayed.
- Ensure group members are correctly paid according to the figures indicated on the cash issuing forms.
- Guide the process of formation of Village Schemes and Loan Association and support its functionality.
- Ensure that DRC program/activities are carried out with pace, effectiveness and efficiency and in compliance with Internal/Donor and National policies/Operational Standards.
- Make sure that all relevant local stakeholders are involved in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the infrastructure projects.
- Collect all the used tools and materials as stipulated in the infrastructure manual.
- Ensure safe custody of tools and other assets of organization in his/her possession.
- Promptly submit weekly, monthly activity progress reports.
- Uphold DRC code of conduct.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Infrastructure Assistant job placement must hold a Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Development studies, Social Sciences and Social Work/Administration, Education, etc.
- One to two years’ experience in labour based infrastructure projects in a busy organization, preferably in an NGO setting.
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Computer literate (proficiency in MS word, excel).
- The applicant must hold a valid riding permit and willing to ride while executing his/her duties
- Fluency in Luo is a must and residents of Lamwo are preferred
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and please indicate your salary expectations
- Updated and detailed -The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, and name and contact details of three relevant references.
The complete application package should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of should read “WASH Officer.”
Deadline: 10th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline