Job Title: Programme Finance Officer
Organisation: Send a Cow (SAC) UK
Project Name: USAID Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth (SOCY) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Administration Manager
Send a Cow (SAC) was founded in the UK in 1988 to help transform lives, by helping African families and orphans to grow enough food to eat, sell their produce and develop small businesses that last. They have provided livestock, seeds, training and ongoing support, to help over a million lives and their families that live in abject poverty. The Send a Cow Group currently constitutes Country Programmes in seven African countries plus the UK and USA, together with a Group Executive which is based in the UK.
About USAID SOCY Project:
Send a Cow will be implementing a Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth (SOCY) project targeting Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Rakai and Mityana districts, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through Catholic Relief Services (CRS). The SOCY project interventions shall be focusing primarily on OVC Case Management and household economic strengthening through savings groups and associated interventions and parenting/caregiver programs.
Job Summary: The Programme Finance Officer will provide financial supervision to the projects and technical and capacity building support through the reviews and preparation of financial and management accounting information in order to enhance accountability, efficiency and timeliness. The incumbent will review and analyze projects’ financial reports to ensure their accuracy and adequacy in respect to full disclosure and that they present a true and fair view of the activities of the projects for the respective period in line with laid down financial policies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide mentoring, training and technical support to the project accounting teams in the following areas among others:
- Basis of originating accounting transactions through voucher preparation.
- Positing vouched transactions in the cashbook and other relevant records.
- Proper allocation of each transaction to the relevant accounts
- Responsible for the extraction of account summaries from the cashbook and other records for purposes of forming a financial report.
- Extraction of account summaries for other decision-making purposes.
- Clear extraction and interpretation of variances as a guide for decisions to be made for future operations.
Ensure the decision-making processes and the preparation of financial records in projects is in accordance with the laid down SACU policies and procedures through periodic supervisory visits and technical support.
- Keenly review project budgets and cash flows, financial transactions and audit & evaluation reports to ensure budgetary controls and cash flow management and compliance with laid down financial procedures & policies.
- Ensure that project funding is processed efficiently and provide support in the dissemination of project Account listings for costs allocated and incurred at the Head Office in line with laid down financial procedures and policies.
- Periodically review the financial and other Internal Controls in operation in projects and advise and/or assist in setting up workable controls in line with the Financial Policies and procedures.
- Offer technical support in the preparation of budgets, development of Project Proposals with a view of advising on key strategic financial implications.
- Prepare analytical quarterly, bi-annual and annual project financial reports relevant for management decision making and submit a monthly financial reports to the FAM
- Perform any other duty that may be assigned to you.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the USAID SOCY Project Programme Finance Officer career vacancy should hold a university degree, with a major in Accounting and/or a full professional qualification in A.C.C.A, CPA or CIMA or equivalent.
- At least three years of post-qualification experience.
- Part or full professional qualification in A.C.C.A, CPA or CIMA or equivalent is desired
- Previous experience in NGO work is an added advantage
- Good community and field work experience
- Previous experience in managing projects is desired
- Broad working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Internal Control Procedures.
- Extensive Computer knowledge in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Pastel Accounting or any other accounting package.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good presentation skills
- Good report writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong networking skills.
- An initiator and self-driven
- Good team leader, builder and developer
- High degree of creativity and innovation
- High degree of flexibility
- Applicants should have empathy with Send a Cow’s Christian foundation and core values
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to submit the following documents as they apply:
- Complete SAC Application Form, download here
- Submit ‘three key achievements’ according to instructions, download here
Send the completed documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 29th April, 2016 by 5PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline