Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Organization: RTI International
Project Name: USAID Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity Program (LARA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Masaka, Mbarara, Mityana, Uganda
Reports to: Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
About USAID LARA Program:
The Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity is a five-year USAID activity that supports the Ministry of Education Science Technology and Sports (MoESTS), Government of Uganda’s aim of improving early grade reading outcomes and enhancing safe school environments for children in primary grades utilizing EGR curriculum and methodologies. LARA is expanding the curriculum and methodologies developed and rolled out in SHRP districts to an additional 28 districts and will work with partners to improve reading skills in three local languages (Luganda, Runyoro/ Rutoro, Runyankole/ Rukiga) and English for early primary grades.
Job Summary: The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will offer technical support and participate in the development and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation plan and facilitate the transfer of knowledge at the project, MoESTS, district and school level to ensure smooth flow of information in support of implementation of the project activities. The position supports program monitoring, assessments and evaluations, and builds capacity and support for Monitoring and Evaluation activities and systems at the district level. S/he will support project staff and stakeholders to develop project briefs and case studies that detail success stories, lessons learned, and best practices across all components. This position will support the creation of education program synergies and collaboration. The jobholder will design and collaborate on the development of data collection instruments and systems to measure progress towards improved reading skills in 3 local languages and English for early primary grade learners, including:
- Improved capacity building of MoESTS and education system to sustain the national roll-out of EGR methodology.
- Improved reading skills for learners in P1 to P2.
- Improved supervisory support and mentorship for primary teachers for result 1 and 2
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Monitoring and Evaluation team to act as a key contact for Monitoring and Evaluation planning and implementation for the Project.
- Manage the development and maintenance of the program AMELP. This includes ensuring that all Performance Indicator Reference sheets are up to date and an indicator “dashboard” is updated regularly to be able to communicate performance and gaps to program staff.
- Ensure that all data are entered into USAID systems on time each quarter.
- Provide data to other program offices as necessary including: Numbers of schools and learners to be reached; numbers of textbooks to be printed and distributed, numbers of teachers to train (including prepopulated training lists).
- Support the development of program data collection instruments and staff training in the use of these instruments (Field Assistant data collection instruments for example).
- The incumbent will support Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA) and SGBV instrument development and data collection efforts. This includes supporting the content of instrument development, assessor training, field deployment and logistic arrangements for monitoring.
- Prepare and submit periodic performance reports according to USAID results (quarterly, annually) and provide updates of progress status and keep Project Leadership informed of the same and of any need or issues arising related to Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Train Monitoring and Evaluation dedicated project staff and provide orientation to new staff regarding the Monitoring and Evaluation process.
- Design assessor training and deployment planning and oversee data collection in the field. Support other evaluative activities as they arise.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the USAID LARA Project Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist job opportunity should hold a Master’s degree with three years of experience or a Bachelor’s Degree and six years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Computer literacy i.e. working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to obtain proper security clearances as noted by contracts
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send updated CVs including three work related referees and cover letters to the Human Resource Manager by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 20th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline