Job Title: Grants Specialist
Organization: RTI International
Project Name: USAID Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity Program (LARA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Administration Manager
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
About USAID LARA Program:
The Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity is a five-year USAID activity that supports the Ministry of Education Science Technology and Sports (MoESTS), Government of Uganda’s aim of improving early grade reading outcomes and enhancing safe school environments for children in primary grades utilizing EGR curriculum and methodologies. LARA is expanding the curriculum and methodologies developed and rolled out in SHRP districts to an additional 28 districts and will work with partners to improve reading skills in three local languages (Luganda, Runyoro/ Rutoro, Runyankole/ Rukiga) and English for early primary grades.
Job Summary: The Grants Specialist will coordinate and supervise financial and administrative operations and functions of the project regarding grants management, with primary areas of responsibility including accounting, financial reporting, budget management, and administrative and financial data processing systems. Expected Grant Portfolio is above $3 million USD. The Grants Specialist will carry out a variety of specialized grants management functions to build the capacity of CBOs implementing projects that contribute to positive and supportive school climates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development of the grants management program with the input and oversight of the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and the RTI Office of Contracts
- Oversees the grants management process & subcontracts for local organizations, including grant proposal tracking, review, and approval process
- Maintains financial management files for grants and ensures audit trail for all necessary grant documentation
- Ensures timely financial disbursements, compliance with grants financial management policies, monitors all grant expenses, and provides regular updates on grant status
- Offer technical guidance as required to build capacity of local partners
- Keenly reviews technical and financial proposals from local NGOs/CBOs, including negotiating annual budgets
- Reviews grantee financial expenditure reports for accuracy and adherence to the Scope of Work and budget
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s degree with six years of related experience or Bachelor’s Degree with ten years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of ten years of relevant work experience in finance and grants management
- Significant experience in international non-profit, preferably with overseas offices in the Africa Region
- Strong government accounting experience as well as experience with USAID, DfID or other donor agency regulations highly preferred
- The applicant must be proficient in language(s) applicable to project requirements
- Strong candidates will exhibit excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to work under difficult circumstances with limited resources, and ability to form productive relationships with host country counterparts and training institutions.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send updated CVs including three work related referees and cover letters to the Human Resource Manager by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 20th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline