Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Organisation: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Action Against Hunger (ACF) is an International Humanitarian NGO which has been in existence for over thirty years. ACF has been implementing Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programs in the Lango, Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja regions of Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Nutrition Officer will primarily be responsible for supporting health workers, Village Health Teams and communities to ensure early identification, referral and management of acute malnutrition among south Sudanese refugees and the host communities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Technical Support:
- The incumbent will support health workers at health facilities and established outreaches to manage acute malnutrition among children < 5yrs and pregnant/ lactating mothers according to IMAM guidelines
- The incumbent will ensure that health facilities and VHTs are equipped with necessary OTC & SFP equipment and tools for screening, management, referral and follow-up of targeted beneficiaries.
- Oversee the community and health facility health and nutrition education on key essential nutrition actions, infant and young child feeding and prevention of hygiene related diseases.
2. Assessment and Capacity Building:
- Actively participate in rapid nutrition assessment, nutrition surveillance and nutrition coverage assessment conducted within the catchment area.
- Assist in regular on-job mentorship and support of health workers, Village Health Teams and District Health Teams in management of acute malnutrition
- Render support in the development and dissemination of relevant IEC materials on Management of Acute Malnutrition and Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices
- Provide health and nutrition education to project staff and other support personnel
3. Staff Management & Supervision:
- Ensure regular attendance and engagement of staff under your supervision.
- Coordinate the staff under your supervision
- Provide technical and managerial support to staff under your supervision
4. Coordination & Representation:
- Actively participate in internal and external meetings according to the PM guidance
- Actively participate in events organized in the refugee and host community setting
- Coordinate with other sections of ACF and all other stakeholders in the response
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Action Against Hunger (ACF) career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition or related field with minimum of 2 years experience in IMAM
- Extensive knowledge and experience in implementation of IMAM
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English
- Knowledge of word processor, spreadsheet and software use like ENA, SPSS plus other programs advantageous
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
- Diplomatic and culturally sensitive
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in the local language is a must (Kiryandongo)
- Possession of a valid riding permit
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications which should include ONLY a cover letter, CV (not more than 4 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contract. For email applications please note that attached documents should not be larger than 2MBs. All documents should be zipped in one folder. Any email larger than 2MBS will not be considered. Please send your email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning Nutrition Officer in the subject line.
Deadline: Thursday, 21st April 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline