Job Title: Field Station Administrator
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Station In-charge
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Field Station Administrator will be responsible for managing the Field Station as a successful platform for the scientific projects operating there and for managing the Field station's resources efficiently and effectively.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overseeing allocation and management of the Field Station resources, eg. vehicles, offices, accommodation.
- The jobholder will also be managing and coordinating the field stations administrative and operations staff.
- Ensuring efficient and effective operation of all facilities, logistics and support services at the field station.
- Ensure compliance with MRC standard operating procedures (SOPs), and compiling and managing (in agreement with relevant staff in Entebbe) any further SOP's required for the smooth and compliant running of the Field Station.
- Ensure that the Field Station activities are carried out in accordance with MRC's quality standards.
- Maintain liaison and co-operation between the Field Station and MRC/UVRI Unit HQ at Entebbe.
- Work in liaison with leadership of projects at the Field Station to ensure smooth and fair interaction between the projects and Field station administration, and to ensure equitable utilisation of resources between projects.
- Support the Station In-charge with future resource planning for field station.
- Render support in leading change and development at the field station, in conjunction with the station in- charge.
- Assisting projects/programmes with their administrative/logistical/resources planning for the field station.
- Overseeing management of the field station stores.
- Ensuring adherence at all times to the Field Station's standing financial instructions.
- Carrying out regular reviews of petty cash float balance to ensure the level of appropriate spending. Ensuring accurate and timely preparation of monthly field station financial returns.
- Ensure data regarding petty cash, vehicle usage, fuel issues and spare parts are accurately complied and reported. Performing analytical review of the monthly fuel issues to identify and investigate any significant variations from pre-determined monthly consumption.
- Work closely with the HRM on staffing requirements at the field stations.
- In charge of planning and when appropriate conducting new employee orientation.
- Overseeing, and where appropriate, leading staff training initiatives at the field station.
- Ensuring fair allocation of space, resources, accommodation for difference projects and programmes working at the field station.
- Overseeing management (Supervise the guest house keeper on day-to-day basis)of the visitors' and residential accommodation at field station guest houses.
- Travel to Entebbe once per month to meet with/report to the HR/Admin Manager and Director of Operations and other key Entebbe based staff as appropriate.
- Attend Admin leadership group meetings in Entebbe when possible or as required.
- Undertake all work following the relevant safety rules and regulations as laid down in the MRC safety manual.
- People Management Responsibilities: Supervise all administrative and support staff at the Station. Act as first points of contact on any HR matters.
- Corporate/Local Responsibilities & Requirements: The job holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s: Code of conduct, Equality & Diversity Policy, Health & Safety Policy, Information technology policy and Data Protection Act
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Management and Administration
- A minimum of three years’ experience working in a large international organisation
- People, financial and logistical management skills
- Computer literacy skills. Essential: Use of Navision ERP
Personal Competencies: Integrity, Emotional Resourcefulness, Ability to Learn, Forward Thinking, Reliability, Openness to Others, Independence, Analytical Thinking, Conceptual Thinking, Proactivity, Results Orientation, Thoroughness, Concern for Excellence, Flexibility Towards Others, Service Orientation and Development Orientation
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: email@example.com. Please quote the position code (FSAKY416) in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 22nd April 2016 by 05:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline