Job Title: Director Health Services
Organisation: Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Secretary General
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading national humanitarian organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The ICRC is an International humanitarian institution which has a mandate to protect victims of international and armed conflicts i.e. the wounded, refugees, civilians, prisoners and other non-combatants.
Job Summary: The Director Health Services will steer initiatives for planning, technical support, monitoring and implementation and reporting of the URCS Health, Social and Commercial Services Programs in line with the URCS established systems, Strategy, National and international best practice/standards on health and social services sectors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the planning, monitoring and reporting on agreed plans and budgets both corporately and to donors where required, to ensure efficient and effective implementation or timely modification as appropriate. This includes overall budgetary monitoring and control responsibilities for the management of all financial resources entrusted to the Health, Social and Commercial Services directorate and ensure that its activities are an integral and coordinated part of the overall National programs.
- Build URCS’ Health, Social and Commercial health Services Programs and capacity, provide leadership on strategic directions for URCS in collaboration with operations, technical units and program teams and branches in general.
- Manage the directorate initiatives of resource mobilization through proposals development and any other form and drive programs development for Health, Social and Commercial Services in existing and new contexts in line with the URCS Strategy.
- Provide leadership in Networking and building strategic alliances with partners and donors related to Health, Social and Commercial Services programming in line with organizational strategies and policies.
- Provide guidance to URCS’ branches at all stages of the program cycle (assessments, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) for Health, Social and Commercial Services programming.
- Manage, supervise, monitor, coach, develop, appraise and motivate all the staff in the directorate line with URCS policies and the National Labour laws.
- Work closely with the Secretary General, position URCS as the partner of choice in relevant context with partners and donors identified through mapping.
- Actively promote URCS visibility at national, regional and International platforms and forums concerning Health, Social and Commercial health Services in humanitarian, transitional and development programming.
- Develop and lead the implementation of frameworks for documenting the evidence of best practices in Health, Social and Commercial health Services programming and ensure the field teams incorporate the practices into the program while also enabling them to share across URCS, during local, national and global forums.
- Actively participate in the relevant meetings at the national, international and policy levels to advance URCS’ visibility and contribution to Health, Social and Commercial health Services in general. This may include development of strategic and sustainable networking and collaboration mechanisms with relevant Government of Uganda Ministries, particularly (but not limited to) donor agencies, and related platforms and existing and new partners of the National Society.
- The Director Health Services will ensure that URCS’ Health, Social and Commercial health Services interventions are aligned to major national and international conventions, treaties, policies and laws, with a major bias to those of Uganda particularly.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Uganda Red Cross Society Director Health Services job vacancy should hold a Master’s degree in Public Health care, Post Graduate Diploma in Public Health and or primary health care. The applicant must also have a Bachelor’s degree in Human medicine.
- Possession of a post graduate training in Project planning and management is essential
- Additional training in health emergencies and Relief operations/ Disaster Risk Reduction, as well as Participatory approaches and methodologies is essential.
- A minimum of seven years of practical experience in Public health care services work, health emergencies and relief work and development management preferably with humanitarian and relief NGOs at National or International level.
- Five years’ experience at senior management level
- Significant experience in capacity building, facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes, organizational learning, and change management processes
- Broad working knowledge of the international humanitarian context including current humanitarian policy framework issues.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills including ability to write technical documents and give presentations to colleagues in and outside of URCS
- Public speaking and presentation; Negotiation skills; Project Planning and Management.
- Performance management; Budgeting and budgetary control; Resource mobilization and Contract management; Networking, alliance building and stakeholder management; Training of Trainers (ToT)
- Strategic planning and management, Monitoring & Evaluation, Computer literacy skills – MS Office applications, word, excel, PowerPoint, Spread sheets.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement should send their filled application forms, download here and E-mail to: email@example.com or mail via post to: The Secretary General, Uganda Red Cross Society, Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road, P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 18th April 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline