Job Title: Commodity Manager
Organisation: World Vision International
Reports to: Regional Programs Manager
Duty Station: Uganda
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Commodity Manager will manage all food commodities and ensuring all food aid programs is implemented in line with the set standards and objectives. Emphasis will be on quality and accountability of food programming, within the framework of integrated food resources into World Vision holistic ministry.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Program & Strategic Issue:
- In charge of managing the day-to-day implementation of Food Commodities according to objectives and Detailed Implementation Plans.
- Actively participate in project design, proposal writing, budgeting process, and engaging various support offices and donors during the negotiation process in coordination with GAM and Finance units.
- Work closely with and meet donors and other food programming stakeholders for the purposes of networking, information sharing and nurturing partnerships.
- In collaboration with the design, monitoring and evaluation team ensuring that food programs are monitored and evaluated and that operational research contributes to program innovation.
- Develop and present a comprehensive operating plan for the food aid portion of the WV program on a yearly basis including: Food programming/project design; AERs, Call forward, Logistics plan and assisting in the preparation of agreements related to food.
- Consolidate Call Forwards Schedule Distribution Plans, and pipeline projections for the WFP program.
- Work in liaison with the Regional Operation Manager and ensure that the WFP pipeline remains as healthy as possible by constantly following up call Forwards and shipments allocations and schedules with WFP Sub Office and Country Office.
3. Commodity tracking (Reporting and Accountability:
- Maintain a comprehensive commodity tracking systems so as to ensure that all commodities are properly distributed and accounted for to WV Partnership and major donor standards.
- Ensure that all commodity losses and claims procedures are in compliance with the World Vision Partnership and donor requirements.
- Ensure that the required periodic reports are generated from the CTS reports and submitted to the relevant consumers on a timely basis.
- Ensure the loss and claims registers, files are well maintained and checked on a regular basis.
- Maintain shipment files and registers and ensure that shipments reconciliation is accurately done on a daily basis.
- Follow up on all loans received or given to other agencies including WFP.
- Maintain inventory control on a monthly basis and ensure that the commodity book balances match with the actual stocks.
- Ensure that food and non-food commodities are well warehoused as per WV standards.
4. Personnel Management:
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, supervision and training of commodities staff.
- Work on staff development plans through coaching, on job training and possible recommendation for secondments to other programs within the partnership.
- Ensure proper and adequate supervision of commodities staff for a smooth implementation of the projects.
- Conduct performance appraisals, maintain employee files, create job descriptions, chair hiring panels, and maintain performance standards for all employees in commodities department.
5. Negotiation & Liaison with Outside Groups:
- Attend Donors monthly coordination meetings and other meetings as required
- Liaise with UN and other NGO partners to ensure coordination on program implementation on the ground
- Work closely with Local government and other government agent on issues related to implementation of food assistance in the country. Ensure good representation of World Vision in government coordination meetings.
- Maintain tight budgetary control over all program budgets and ensure compliance with the grant rules and regulations of a variety of donors (USAID, WFP and WVI standards).
- Work closely with the Finance unit in the creation of programmatic budgets, and recommend revision where necessary in coordination with the donor.
- Create budgets and spending projections for the Commodity operations.
- Prepare the program for Internal, FPMG and other external audits and to ensure that food programs achieve acceptable audit standards in national, partnership, FPMG, and USG A-133 Audits.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree in a Development Field. Masters in Business Administration, Social Sciences or in other related field is desirable.
- At least five years’ experience in food aid programs management preferably with international experience.
- Adequate knowledge and experience in food aid programs and donors standards appropriate to the management of the food programs.
- Knowledge of the Sphere standards, Code of Conduct for Red Cross/ Red crescent, Humanitarian Accountability Partnerships (HAPI) and other international humanitarian standards
- Extensive experience in supervising staff and conducting capacity building workshops.
NB: This Position is open to Ugandan Nationals only.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
NB: Please follow instructions on How to Create Account and Profile at World Vision’s e-recruitment portal. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 27th April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline