Organisation: Send a Cow (SAC) UK
Project Name: USAID Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth (SOCY) Project
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: SILC Project Officer
Send a Cow (SAC) was founded in the UK in 1988 to help transform lives, by helping African families and orphans to grow enough food to eat, sell their produce and develop small businesses that last. They have provided livestock, seeds, training and ongoing support, to help over a million lives and their families that live in abject poverty. The Send a Cow Group currently constitutes Country Programmes in seven African countries plus the UK and USA, together with a Group Executive which is based in the UK.
About USAID SOCY Project:
Send a Cow will be implementing a Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth (SOCY) project targeting Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Rakai and Mityana districts, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through Catholic Relief Services (CRS). The SOCY project interventions shall be focusing primarily on OVC Case Management and household economic strengthening through savings groups and associated interventions and parenting/caregiver programs.
Job Summary: The SILC Field Agent Supervisor will be responsible for conducting post-training supervision and mentoring of the Field Agents to ensure proper mentorship of the SILC groups by the Field Agents. The incumbent will identify ways to improve performance and management of groups by the Field Agents. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the SILC Project Officer (or designate), especially in areas of planning and coordination of field activities and reporting. The jobholder will also ensure that the SILC Field Agents (FAs) meet their targets, attend group meetings as and when they are required, collect data from the field and submit the same without delay.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Project Manager, the incumbent will ensure that the FAs and groups are well trained on the SILC methodology.
- Carry out post-training supervision and mentoring of the FAs to ensure successful internalization of the methodology and quality roll-out.
- Conduct training needs assessments of FAs through identification of FA performance/management problems and provide necessary follow-up training through on-the-job and classroom trainings.
- Offer support to field PSPs and field officers to mobilize smallholder farmers and organizing them in order for them to affectively participate in supported value chain, identifying farmer’s marketing and business capacity building needs.
- In charge of identifying farmers’ and farmer organizations(PBAs’) training needs and carrying out targeted support to address these and/or organizing, in consultation with the Project Manager.
- Actively promote and assist the formation and registration of the relevant producer organizations in order to meet marketing challenges.
- Responsible for identifying and providing business assistance to growth oriented program supported Value chains to grow their business. Undertaking simple client diagnostic study to determine the needs of the clients and using this information to propose a course of action.
- Ensure that the FAs submit regular reports including, but not limited to:
- Duly filled SILC Field Agent data collection forms, clean of errors.
- SILC Monthly narrative reports of groups covered by the Field Agent
- SILC Health Diagnosis Form duly filled.
- SILC Monthly work plans.
- Ensure that FAs conduct smooth and justified transition of SILC groups from one phase to the next and use the SILC Health Diagnosis form.
- Identify problems in the above reports and rectify before submitting to the Project Manager.
- Actively participate together with other staff in regular planning, review, and coordination of activities.
- Mentor and supervise FAs and carry out performance appraisal of FAs in the area of jurisdiction.
- Ensure proper mentoring of FAs to become Private Service Providers (PSPs) after a stipulated period.
- Prepare and submit detailed reports on progress of SILC activities in area of operation.
- Perform any other job-related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor
- Undertaking periodic marketing information tracking, including price, volume of Product from supported value chain on offer in various markets, and using this information to appropriately advise producers.
- The jobholder will be supporting farmers and their organizations in business record keeping, simple forecasting for growth
- Supporting farmers to select the most profitable/appropriate type of producer organization.
- Tasked with maximizing project assets and resources to achieve the greatest impact for our clients. This will include innovative management of project budget and resources.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the USAID SOCY Field Agent Supervisor jobs should hold diplomas in Business Studies, Education, Social Sciences or related qualifications
- Previous experience in rural communities/groups is desired
- The applicant must be an experienced facilitator.
- Prior experience in savings-led microfinance programs is an added advantage.
- The applicant should currently be living in the community and speaking the local language.
- Respected by people and community leaders with a reputation for integrity.
- Well-known throughout the proposed working zone.
- Possess good community mobilization skills
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Energetic and assertive with a positive mind-set.
- Good team player who employs a flexible work approach
- Broad knowledge and interest in rural development and community initiatives.
- Willingness to commit time to SILC activities and objective driven.
- Applicants that have previously worked as Field Agents have an added advantage.
- Ability to ride a motor bike for a good part of the day with a Riding Permit.
- Applicants should have empathy with Send a Cow’s Christian foundation and core values
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to submit the following documents as they apply:
- Complete SAC Application Form, download here
- Submit ‘three key achievements’ according to instructions, download here
Send the completed documents to: email@example.com
Deadline: 29th April, 2016 by 5PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline