Job Title: Program Coordinator Education (3 Vacancies)
Organization: RTI International
Project Name: USAID Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity Program (LARA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Education Specialist (Teacher Training)
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
About USAID LARA Program:
The Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity is a five-year USAID activity that supports the Ministry of Education Science Technology and Sports (MoESTS), Government of Uganda’s aim of improving early grade reading outcomes and enhancing safe school environments for children in primary grades utilizing EGR curriculum and methodologies. LARA is expanding the curriculum and methodologies developed and rolled out in SHRP districts to an additional 28 districts and will work with partners to improve reading skills in three local languages (Luganda, Runyoro/ Rutoro, Runyankole/ Rukiga) and English for early primary grades.
Job Summary: The Program Coordinator (Education) will implement a high quality teacher training program focused on early grade reading and positive and supportive school climates. The incumbent will use M&E data to populate lists of teachers to be trained and will ensure the timely distribution of invitations. This position will have financial duties including gathering information necessary for preparing training budgets. The Program Coordinator will also complete duties such as ensuring a proper record of teachers during the training. The position will have logistical duties including assisting with procurement prior to training and managing and distributing training materials. The jobholder will also coordinate training activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer support the effective planning and implementation of training activities in accordance with the program design.
- Support the supervisor to provide training in Early Grade Reading methodology to teachers as well as CCTs and pre-service tutors, DEOs and DISs and other national level implementers.
- Support the supervisor to evaluate training programs and provide timely feedback to the technical staff.
- Provide support in the review of operational plans on a regular basis to ensure that the program goals are being met at the school, community and district level.
- Support technical staff to write training materials.
- Support the program implementation through monitoring visits to project schools and classrooms to evaluate the reach of the training intervention, determine successes and challenges and document best practices.
- Ensure efficient management and administration of training.
- Actively contribute to other technical areas of the program, as appropriate and required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Master’s degree with one year of experience or a Bachelor’s Degree and three years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with early grade reading methodology
- Fully competent in information systems skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communications skills in both Local language and English.
- Demonstrate flexibility, adaptability and the ability to perform and collaborate under challenging conditions.
- Strong planning, community mobilization and inter-cultural communication skills required.
- Previous experience working on a USAID-funded or other donor project pertaining to technical and organization capacity development.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send updated CVs including three work related referees and cover letters to the Human Resource Manager by e-mail to email@example.com. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 20th April, 2016