Job Title: Head of Mission
Organisation: Avocats Sans Frontières (ASF)
Salary: Between € 2341 and € 2738 depending on Experience
ASF is an independent non-governmental organisation. Its mission is to independently contribute to the creation of fair and equitable societies through the promotion of access to justice, in which the law and its institutions serve society’s most vulnerable groups. The organisation aims to realise this objective through field interventions in the field of law in general, and in the area of legal and judicial assistance in particular. ASF has its headquarters in Brussels and currently implements long-term projects in Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and Nepal, Tunisia, Chad, Tanzania.
About Uganda’s Mission:
ASF has a young and evolving mission in Uganda. Through a careful analysis of the needs in the field and a strategic and coordinated approach to the implementation of its programming, Avocats Sans Frontières has gradually been establishing itself as an important actor in the protection of the rights of the most vulnerable. ASF implements programs that combine legal awareness raising with the opportunity to access free legal aid and judicial assistance, in partnership with local actors such as the Uganda Law Society. Since 2011 ASF has a leading position on transitional and international justice, and focuses on the protection of human rights defenders.
Job Summary: The Head of Mission works under the supervision of the Great Lakes Strategic Coordinator for administrative, financial and logistical matters, directly under the supervision of the Admin and Finance Director. She/He determines ASF Uganda’s operational strategy with respect to the Organisation’s vision and objectives as defined by ASF Uganda’s strategic plan. She/He is responsible for the proper management of existing projects and the development of new programmes through an analysis of the context, needs and funding opportunities. She/He is also responsible for the proper management of administrative and financial matters for ASF Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Supervise the implementation of ASF projects and ensure that they achieve their objectives
· Oversee the proposal and preparation of project grants and follow up with donors
· Ensure the quality of financial and progress reports and transmit such reports to donors within the agreed timeframes
· Analyse the legal, political, economic and social context of the country so as to determine appropriate strategic intervention
· Propose projects for intervention and oversee the drafting of new project proposals in accordance with the needs identified in ASF Uganda’s Plan of Action
· Develop and maintain good working relationships with donors and undertake all necessary negotiations on future programmes
· Represent ASF at meetings with local and national authorities, donors, local and international NGOs and establish a network with NGOs involved in justice
· Lead and coach ASF Uganda’s team, ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of the mission’s structure and revise according to the programme needs
· Regularly analyse the context, identify risks and review security rules accordingly
· Ensure sound administrative, financial and logistical management of ASF Uganda in compliance with ASF and donor procedures and national regulations
· Regularly check the budgetary coverage of the mission and ensure that projects are implemented within their budget
· Validate projected cash applications, financial reports to be provided to headquarters and to donors
· Ensure regular monitoring of the use of resources
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
· Degree in law from a recognized university
· At least 3 years of project management experience (including financial and human resources management), preferably with an international legal development organisation or NGO.
· Work experience in developing countries.
· Strong networking skills and ability to engage in consultative and partnership processes with local stakeholders and government officials.
· Experience of fundraising and establishing/maintaining donor relations.
· Excellent written and oral skills.
· Organisational skills and ability to deal with heavy and diverse workloads and deadlines.
· Sound judgment, maturity, patience and flexibility.
· Ability to work with people of different cultures
· Fluency in written and spoken English and French is required
· Good computer skills, inc. Excel
· Work experience as a lawyer
Work experience in the Great Lakes Region
Work experience in the Great Lakes Region
Conditions: 1 year contract, renewable
· Accommodation allowance and repatriation insurance provided by ASF
· Health, invalidity and medical care insurance at the expatriate’s expense
· 25 days of paid annual leave
How to apply:
Send your application (CV and cover letter + date of availability) in English by 12 January 2013 to email@example.com (please mention “HOM Uganda” in the subject of your email).
More information on ASF and its projects is available on our website at www.asf.be.