Job Title: Legal Officer
Organisation: Uganda Wildlife Conservation Education Centre (UWEC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
Uganda Wildlife Conservation Education Centre (UWEC) evolved from an animal orphanage set up by the Game Department in 1952 as a sanctuary to care for; the sick, injured, orphaned wild animals, sometimes confiscated from illegal wildlife trade. In 1994, under the Trustees Incorporation Act Cap 147, UWEC was transformed into the Entebbe Zoo. Through the UWEC Act-2015, UWEC is now a fully-fledged statutory body under the Ministry of Tourism Wildlife and Antiquities by the UWEC Act, 2015.
The UWEC Act, 2015 mandates UWEC to; undertake Conservation Education, wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and breeding of endangered animal species among others.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will provide legal advisory services and counsel in the interests of UWEC
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide legal advice and opinion on legal matters to all operational units of UWEC.
· Review and propose amendments to legal documents, Standard Operating Procedures and manuals used in UWEC’s operations for compliance with new legislations and best practices.
· Review pending documentation required in representing UWEC in courts of law for protection and enforcement of its interests.
· Represent UWEC in Courts of Law in case there is need
· Keep management appraised of new legislation and regulations regarding UWEC’s operations.
· Ensure all documents with service providers, business partners and other stakeholders including contracts, agreements, collaterals and others prepared or involving UWEC safeguard its interests.
· Record and circulate minutes of the meetings of the Board, its Committees and Management and during these proceedings provide guidance on legal governance issues or matters that may arise for UWEC’s compliance with the relevant laws and best practice.
· Promptly advise management on the decisions taken by the Board and committee and particularly those requiring management action and coordinate management’s time submission of reports for consideration.
· Develop an annual work plan and budget for the Board.
· Drafting legal documents and other legal correspondences.
· Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· Honor’s Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized University.
· Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from Law Development Centre.
· Advocate of the High Court is an added advantage
· Membership to relevant professional bodies
· Three years of related experience, two years MUST be from a Tourism, Conservation facility or service industry
How to Apply:
If you fit in any of the above rewarding and exciting positions, please submit your application together with a CV, copies of relevant academic documents, personal contacts, names and contacts of three referees. Please, indicate the position being applied for, attach them in one folder which should not exceed 25mbs and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Address Applications to:
The Executive Director,
Uganda Wildlife Conservation Education Centre
P.O. Box 369, Entebbe. Uganda
Deadline: 12th February,2021
Please Note: Only Shortlisted Candidates shall be contacted.