Job Title: Project Officer (2 Job Vacancies)
Organisation: Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is the world’s largest on the ground conservation organization that has been operating in Uganda for more than 60 years. WCS works to conserve biological diversity and ecosystems through applied research, conservation education, and provision of technical assistance to the government of Ugandan while inspiring people to value nature.
Job Summary: As such, WCS is seeking to recruit two Project Officers to work on this project over a period of four years. One project officer will be stationed in West Nile region and the other in Hoima. These officers will work closely with the Projects Coordinator and other WCS technical staff to ensure effective implementation of project activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Support implementation of the project within the respective regions (60 % Full time effort). Specific activities will include, but not limited to:
· Planning, coordination, and implementation of the project activities;
· Participate in the development of work plans and budgets;
· Conduct stakeholder engagements and collaboration within the project area on all matters related to the project implementation;
· Conduct socio-economic and ecological surveys in the project area.
· Participate in the writing of reports, documents, lessons learned and experiences acquired, project briefs, and prepare presentations;
· Supervise and monitor project activities, including collection of data for monitoring, evaluation and learning.
Create and maintain a high level of multi-sectoral networking and collaboration mechanism with key stakeholders to ensure proper project implementation, (20 % Full time effort).
· Support creation, and/or strengthening of existing district and regional networks and collaborations among key stakeholders including, but not limited to UNHCR, Office of the Prime Minister (OPM), government environmental pillar institutions (e.g. UWA, NFA, line ministries, Local governments), local NGOs/CBOs, the project implementing partners;
· Regularly organise district and regional network/collaborative meetings and engagements with key stakeholders;
· Effectively represent the project at the district and regional network, ensuring continual collaboration with UNHCR, OPM, NGOs, and any other relevant stakeholders.
Assist in all aspects of project management and administration (Human, financial & WCS assets) (15 % of the Full time effort).
· Responsible for proper management of project funds and property in line with WCS’s relevant policies, procedures and standards;
· Oversee the recruitment, deployment and supervision of a network of communitybased extension workers to support implementation of the Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) and other technical areas related to Sustainable Land Management (SLM) components of the project;
· Ensure project implementation is always harmonized with approved project plans and budgets.
Reporting (5% of Full time effort).
· Ensure timely collection of data and information needed for project monitoring, evaluation and learning;
· Work closely with the communications manager and the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager to document success stories, and reporting internally in WCS and its partners and to the donor;
· Provide feedback to project participating persons about the project surveys and implementation results.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Environmental Management/ Sciences, Wildlife Conservation, rural development studies, and Agricultural Sciences.
· Master’s Degree, or Post graduate professional training in any of the above fields will be an added advantage.
· At least three to five years of professional work experience in similar position.
· Solid proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications namely MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
· Knowledge and demonstrated experience / application of Global Information System
· (GIS), Biological and social survey techniques, Global Positioning System (GPS)
· applications, Open Data Kit (ODK) and KOBO data collection tools is desirable.
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience of working with government institutions and
· Ability to work in a multicultural diverse environment.
· Work with minimum supervision and under tight deadlines.
· Demonstrated ability to adhere to strict confidentiality involving internal/ external
· information management.
· Good verbal, written communication in English.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Willing to work in remote areas and passionate about nature conservation.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send the application documents (a cover letter and Curriculum vitae ONLY by email to email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Project Officer Position. The letter should be addressed to:
The Country Director
Wildlife Conservation Society
Uganda Country Program
Plot 802, Kiwafu Road, Kansanga
P. O. Box 7487, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 25th January 2021