Organisation: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reference No: SVN/UG/011/2020
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Job Summary: Recognizing that men, women and youth often migrate for economic reasons and better employment opportunities, the Uganda National Labour Migration Policy will address a policy gap pertaining to labour mobility governance in Uganda while exploring avenue of strengthening the BLAs signed by the country. In doing so, it will be a legal mechanism governing the protection of both female and male migrant workers to and from Uganda. Furthermore, the project “Enhancing Capacities on Labour Migration Data Collection, Analysis and Sharing to Support Labour Migration Governance in the East and Horn of Africa Region” is to contribute to the common and coordinated approaches in: Regulation and Enforcement, Regional Cooperation, Migration Governance and Policy, as well as Protection of Migrant Workers through: (a) enhancing the understanding of existing gaps and challenges as well as the opportunities for data collection, analysis and sharing of labour migration data between the selected countries and in the region, (b) development of a pilot uniform capacity building strategy that can meet the needs of the participating countries (Kenya, Somalia and Uganda) to facilitate collection, analysis and sharing of timely, reliable and comparable data on labour and skills mobility in the region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the LHD Programme Manager, the selected candidate will be responsible of the following activities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
· Provide specialize support to the LHD PM in the overall implementation of Labour Migration Governance projects in a timely manner, in carrying out their technical, financial, administrative aspects, in compliance with IOM’s policies and donor requirements.
· Liaise with government institutions and data and statistic institutions, other UN agencies and technical partners on issues pertaining to labour migration governance and maintain positive collaborative and working relations. Effectively communicate and follow up with appropriate partners as required.
· Coordinate the Secretariats of the Steering Committees of the Labour Migration Policy Project and the Regional Labour Migration Data project.
· Support the LHD PM in the coordination of the consultants assigned to the two projects as well as te closely monitoring of the projects’ implementation.
· Ensure the timely drafting and submissions of the projects reports in close coordination with the LHD PM and the M&E and finance teams.
· Coordinate the logistic organization of the national and regional workshops as per IOM rules and guidance.
· Maintain up-to-date records of all the projects engagement with local and regional stakeholders, including recruitment agencies and associations, employers, CSOs and Trade Unions as well as government counterparts.
· Support the LHD PM’s initiative and activities under skills and youth employment.
· Maintain effective professional relationships with stakeholders (government, civil society, and private sector) and IOM.
· Contribute to the LHD Unit fundraising efforts, related to ethical recruitment, youth employment and skills development to secure sustainability of projects and initiatives under this area.
· Coordinate closely with the RMU for any issues related to finance and procurement relevant to the project.
· Regularly communicate with the LHP PM and internal units to ensure proper coordination and timely follow-up on all activities and requests.
· Coach and guide junior colleagues and interns.
· Undertake duty travel as requested.
· Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Senior Project Assistant (Labour Migration Governance) job must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Social/Political Sciences, International Relations, Business administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four (4) years of relevant professional experience. Or Completed High school Diploma from an academic accredited institution with six (6) years of relevant professional experience.
· Experience in coordination and liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national institutions essential;
· Experience in liaison with UN and non-UN humanitarian actors;
· Experience in working in a challenging environment, project management, logistics and administrative and financial management an advantage;
· Experience in one of the organizations of the UN Common System and field experience are a distinct advantage;
· Broad LHD Sector knowledge and/or field experience in the areas of humanitarian action or the development field is an asset;
· Excellent handling of sensitivities, socio-cultural, political issues and high sense of tact and diplomacy skills;
· Languages: Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other languages in Uganda is an advantage.
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies: The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following behavioral competencies:
· Accountability- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delighted work.
· Communication – Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
· Teamwork – Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results – produces and delivers quality services in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference Number and Position Title (SVN/UG/011/2020 – Senior Project Assistant (Labour Migration Governance))) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
NB: Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Deadline: 8th January 2020